need help to get boat on the trailer

craneman72

Cadet
ok, i have been struggling with this for over a year and think i have tried all solutions, but i know that someone else out there has the answer, i have no problem launching my boat at the ramp on my own, but to get it back on is pure hell, i have tried to install guide ons, no luck, tried different depths when i back the trailer up, no luck, my problem always seems to be that once the boat gets on the bunsk, it falls off one side or the other, i have a 14ft aluminum boat and a staright tounge trailer, 2 bunks on the end and a keel rooler, towards the fron, <br />should i try installing more keel roolers further back by the bunks so they grab the boat quicker?<br /><br />any help would be appreciated,<br />usually after messing with the boat for 20 minutes to get it on, i end up just walikng into the water and positioning the boat that way.

Dunaruna

Admiral
Re: need help to get boat on the trailer

I fought with my 22fter for a few months until I fitted 'Retriever-mate'. The roller are spring loaded and easily centre the rear of the boat as you pull it up. They don't suit all trailers. <br /> <br /><br />web page <br /><br />Its an Aussie link but I'm sure they or a similar product is available in the U.S.<br /><br />Aldo

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

craneman... is this a factory trailer designed with your particular boat in mind? are the bunks the proper width and angle for your boat hull?... just a thought. on occasion loading can be a problem, but consistent trouble sounds like something is wrong with the way the bunks might be set up.. hope this helps a bit. good luck....bob

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like the bunks are to short or to low, how long are the bunks? and where to they contact the hull in relation to the keel or strakes?, also does the winch strap appear to be inline with bow eye, or is it at an angle to the bow eye?, let us know and hopefully we can provide some feedback.

craneman72

Cadet

not a factory trailer. but the bunks are about 3 foot long, they lie directly beside the rail on the bottom of my semi v, the back of the boat is totally flat and the bunks fit in between the rakes? i believe that is what they are called,the bow eye is perfectly straight in line with the winch strap when on the trailer, do you think that perhaps the trailer is too short/too long, the boat is a 14ft aluminum gamefisher, semi v, the transom sits at the very end of the trailer and the bow rests about 4 foot behind the coupler, i never have a problem turning with the trailer on the truck?

mr T

Cadet

I read this from a magazine and it work well for me. The answer is don't dip the trailer too deep. Back the trailer down deep enough like when you launch the boat then pull it up a bit. This would allow better contact between your hull and the bunk. You will need to use your engine to push the boat all the way up. But once you do this the boat will not slide side by side.

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

not sure, but u might simply be going too deep with the trailer when u load. try leaving 2/3s of the bunks out of the water when u load. it might be a little harder to winch on but u will have more contact with the bunks. it sounds like the boat is floating when u come out of the water, instead of sitting on the trailer. just a thought....bob

Northern Eclipse

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I agree with rc581, but if you are able to support longer bunks say 6-7 feet then the boat will make contact sooner and be more stable, I load a 20ft boat on 12 foot bunks, works good, the old trailer I had for same boat only had 8 foot bunks never did load as nice as the one I have now.

D

DJ

With the boat on the trailer, the bunks should extend to the transom or slightly past (1"-2").<br /><br />If the do not, replace/adjust them so that they do.<br /><br />If they extend that far back, loading should be much easier. As long as the bow is between those two bunks, it cannot come up crooked, as long as the trailer is not too deep.

wgcdc

Cadet

If your trailer is set up correctly, rc581 is correct. I trailer an 8,000 lb 26 ft mid cabin cruiser on the coast with wind and currents. The best way to avoid the trouble you are having is not to back your trailer down as far in th e water and power the boat up on the trailer or winch it up. I learned this from a guy with 38 ft center console who trailers his boat on the coast.

craneman72

Cadet

bunks do extend all the way to the end of the transom, it seems that my biggest problem is once i back the trailer in, and then attach the guide rope to the bow eye and push the boat out and try to pull it on the trailer, the boat always goes off the trailer, thats why i installed the guide ons, but even with those, i have a hell of a time, i can pull the boat on about half way, but then no more so i end up walking into the water to attach the winch strap, to winch the rest of the way on. maybe i am missing a step somewhere???<br /><br /> :confused:

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hello again craneman. if your trailer is set in the water properly, u should be able to run that boat on to within 2 feet of your nose dock, and then put the winch strap on to winch the last couple of feet. u should <br />NOT have to go in the water to do this, but be able to lean out standing on your trailer tongue to snap yor winch strap on. if u cant, then yes there is a step missing here, but we are all missing it... do u have alot of gear stored on the boat all on one side or something of that nature thats causing the boat to lean?? sorry craneman, but im running out of ideas for u to try. wish i could be of more help.let me know how u make out.....bob

Link

Rear Admiral

There are or may be a lot of issues here but if you can once get your boat on the trailer the way you want it. And it rides the way you want it to on the trailer here is what I did. Bunk or Roller it will work the same. Float it on, power it on, or winch it on, it doesn't matter. The boat has no choice but to sit in the same place everytime.<br />I call them side guides..<br />Some call them side bunks..<br /><br />Anyway they are carpeted 2X4's or 2X6's and you set them after your boat is centered on the trailer with just 1/8 a inch from your hull on each side of the boat. Your boat will always center its self. A added plus is that in rivers or in or out going tides all you have to do is hook the bow in and power in until the boat is straight and held by the trailer. Then winch it in if thats what you do.<br />I just bought the 2 foot one then bought longer 2X4's and used Marine carpet to set mine up.<br />14 years later and it still works every time.<br />BTW if your trailer goes to deep or is too shallow NO Problem. the boat doesn't have a chioce.. with only a 1/8 inch on each side the most it could be off is 1/4 inch! This isn't the brand I use but since this is sponsered by IBOATS I use their adds<br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cgi?prod_id=38307&current_category=side bunk&cart_id=258728054 <br /><br />Hope this helps<br /><br />Link

FLATHEAD

Commander

If you leave about 1/4 to 1/2 the bunks just about at water level or a hair above, just power on the best you can between your guide ons. Even if the front of the boat goes off to the side dont worry about it. Once you come to a stop step over the bow onto the tounge, with a boat as light as yours you can simply pull the bow to align with the keel roller, then it's just a matter of hooking the strap and winching it up to the tower roller. I use a pickup and once I have it winched up I step into the bed and climb over the side, never get my feet wet. I do this with my 14 foot aluminum. Step plates on the tounge make this method even easier. <br /><br />Are your guide ons set close enough to the boat? I have mine about three inches from each side.

craneman72

Cadet

i think i may have found my missing step, by reading everyones responses, it sounds like after backing the trailer in the water, everyone is getting back in the boat and trying to drive on the trailer, then setting the winch strap, what i am doing is after backing the trailer in, i use a line tied to the bow line and push the boat out and try to guide it on the trailer that way, should i try to get back in the boat and then drive it on the trailer, i do not have a drive on trailer, but if i do it slow enough i dont think there would be any problems, <br />the only problem i can see with all this is that i have a bow mount trolling motor so it would be kind of hard to step over the bow on to the tounge of the trailer.<br /><br />what do you guys think?????<br /> :confused:

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

If you are already having trouble with it falling off the bunks, I don't adding the motor power is going to help much.<br /><br />Can you move the bunks farther apart?<br /><br />How far off the ground are the tops of these bunks? 16" ? 24" ? 30" ?<br /><br />How can the boat fall off the bunks if you are using "guide ons" or "side posts"?

BayStealth

Cadet

I sounded just like you when I first got my boat, then I was at a marina and one of the dock hands offered to back my truck/trailer in for me. I started to break out in cold sweats realizing the embarassment I was about to undergo of fighting with my boat to get it on the trailer with a stranger watching. I was having every problem you seem to have. He backed the trailer in with about 2/3 of it exposed. I thought, this bozo needs to back my trailer in further! Anyway, I went ahead and drove it right on anyway, it was the first time that I had ever loaded my trailer with ease. Now I actually look forward to loading up! If youre by yourself and I often fish by myself this is what I do to load. Tie your boat off to a dock at the ramp, back my truck/trailer 1/3 way in water, set your parking brake and go get in my boat and run it up on the trailer as far as it will seem to go while giving it about 25% throttle. With the motor in gear but not giving it any throttle, I walk up to the bow and attach my winch strap and crank on it and look to see how much farther I need to go. I may even hop on the tongue to put a little more muscle into the winch, go back and motor the rest of the way onto the trailer. Get in the truck and pull on out with out ever getting wet and whole process takes about 2 minutes. I know it can be very frustrating but I really think you and I had similar problems, I could be wrong but it sounds like you may have been approaching it wrong...good luck and let us know next time your'e out! ;)

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

I like the guides on the side idea but don't think you will need them if your bunks are set up right (unless you have a pretty flat bottom where they would be more useful). <br /><br />I am not in favor of using your motor to power on or off of the trailer. Unless you have a solid concrete ramp that extends far into the water you will dig holes in the ramp by powering on or off. It may not be much for a 14'er but I have seen these yeahoos with their 25-30'ers with a couple of V6s on the back blasting up the trailer and spewing water (and ramp bottom) far up into the air. Whether small boat or large there is no need for it and if done by one or a few it will become an accepted practice.<br /><br />I have not done this once and I been at it for 34 years with boats from 11' to 27 1/2'.

BayStealth

Cadet

I'm in saltwater so the tide keeps the ramps pretty well 'sanded'. Do understand what you're sayin' about the end of the end of the ramp! ;)

chippy

Seaman Apprentice

I had a 14' monark with a 15hp. I made two guides out of 1" sq. tubing about 42" long. I put 1.5" pvc pipe over the guides. I also mounted the tail lights at the top of the guides. No more blown bulbs. Once I got my boat loaded I installed the guides with about 1.5" space from the side of the boat. Another thing when backing down the ramp to load the boat I can see where the end of the trailer is.