How to Fit Boat Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMLJ

Recruit
I bought a used boat trailer to replace the trailer that I am currently using. I did do my upfront research to verify that the trailer would work with me existing boat and got an AOK from the original trailer mfg. The question now is what is the best method for me to adjust the trailer to fit the boat. Is this something I can do myself or should I just bring it to a local boat dealer?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: How to Fit Boat Trailer

Hi, Rick.<br /><br />This is my approach. Others may vary.<br /><br />First: Position the boat for good transom support from bunks and/or rollers. Adjust bunks and rollers as required for proper support.<br /><br />Second: Position the suspension truck on the frame so that about 7-10% of the total weight is on the hitch ball.<br /><br />That's it. It fits and it is balanced.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I agree with JB. Depending on the trailer, you may can accomplish both tasks by moving your winch tower backwards of forwards to get the weigh shifted appopriatley. (I can't spell). Either way, you want the balance of the wieght forward, but not to much.<br /><br />If your question was about adjusting bunks to fit the bottom of the trailer, not sure. May want some other experts to answer up.<br /><br />Knightgang

werdna

Seaman

The bunks shouldnt support any weight. the boat should be able to rock slightly between the bunks as it sits on the trailer. not much, but enough that it will make it easier to launch/retrieve.<br />Andrew

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

werdna: I'm confused about your statement about the bunks. If they don't support the boat, what does? My little boat trailer has bunks on pivots aft and only one roller midway forward for my 12' aluminum boat. There is a plastic slide piece between the bunks but it doesn't look like it ought to support the boat. Can you say more about this?

rc581

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i think he is referring to the spacing of the bunks/rollers for proper support. also pay attention to the placement of your transom in respect to the ends of your bunks/rollers. you dont want the transom hanging out in open space of the end of the trailer more than a few inches, that will really take its toll on the transom....bob

tebow666

Cadet
I just got a new boat and think the bunks are to far from boat. There is a space of 5 inches. I understand there should be some space but is this to far? The dealer said they cant touch because they will rub the paint off. I had a lot of trouble with the dealer so don't believe a thing they tell me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.