Getting A Pontoon Boat Out Without A Trailer

Stevehood1

Cadet
I've seen Discovery channel show Egyptians using rounded logs to roll 20 ton blocks for the pyramids. LOL<br /><br />Is there anyway to get a pontoon boat out without a trailer?<br /><br />I have a concrete boat ramp at my home that the toon can sit on-I just need to get it out of the water. Creative suggestions welcome!

ndemge

Commander
Re: Getting A Pontoon Boat Out Without A Trailer

Out of the water is the easy part :) VRRROOOOM<br /><br />Do you plan on ever using your ramp for boats?? you could make something .... basically build a trailer without wheels...Bolt it to the concrete..... that extends into the water with rollers and mount a winch to pul it out.<br /><br />...or build a dock....<br /><br />Or buy a cheap crappy flat bed trailer and convert it.<br /><br />....mount axel stubs to the Toons..... before you get to land, jump out and bolt a few tires on.. and just roll it up the ramp....<br /><br />ok. enough coffee for me.

Down South

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Steve,<br /> Getting that pontoon boat out without a trailer may be a trick. Be careful those pontoons are tender and dednt easy. I know I own two of them.<br /><br />Is there any way you can borrow a trailer?

Stevehood1

Cadet

Thanks for the ideas!<br /><br />I'd like to store it on the boat ramp over the winter-but I'd like to get it on there now just to work on the engine.<br /><br />If I was to fabricate a trailer, do the toons sit on the rollers or do the metel frame crossbars sit on it?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mine is made so the toons sit in the bunks. It sits up higher this way and is more stable. :eek:

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I saw a device on a lake I frequent. The person mounted round steel pipe about 5 to 6 foot wide down into the water. They then fabricated a 4 wheel trailer. They left the tires off and let the rims run on the pipes. They have a winch to get it up the hill. I would definitely not use logs, as Down South said, the pontoons can be dented very easily and will affect the way your boat handles if damaged. The trailer I have seen has the cross beams riding on square tubed box. good luck. Hope one of these sparks an idea that works for you.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Did you ever work at a grocery store as a teenager? If so, remember those roller/ramps that they use to unload semi trailers full of boxes of groceries? I'd look for some of that roller flighting (think that's the name) and make two ramps as long as they need to be and raised slightly. Motor the boat up, line up the toons with the roller ramps, hook the boat to a hand winch and up and out it comes. I also like the idea of welding removable sockets on your pontoon frame so you could just slip some wheels on an off. I'm sure either would work.

ndemge

Commander

I was joking about welding on Axel stubs.... cause a lil too much drag in the water... and look WAY to redneck to me.<br /><br />heck, might as well put the entire drive train in, ad a pto shaft to hook to the ole johnson and drive it to the gas station and save on those high lake station gas prices!