Gator Tilt Trailer issues, Help??

64osby

Admiral
I have two issues I'm trying to figure out on my early 60's tilt trailer, a Gator, I think. See the attached pic's.

1) The tilt release rod or pin was gone when I got the trailer. When the boat was off the trailer a week ago I straightened out the upper part of the neck. It had about a 1" bend in it and the holes for the rod would not line up. Now they line up and I have a small axle stuffed in. There is another piece that broke off, needs to be welded back on. The piece is shaped in a long U and holds what should be the release / lock pin. I think the rod or pin lock has either a spring or stops built on to it so it will not fall out when traveling.

Does anyone have a picture of what the pin looks like so I can make something close.

2) The bunks on this trailer release when the handle at the front of the trailer is pulled forward. I have never used this feature, but when I was working on the trailer I took the mechanism apart and cleaned it up and it looks like it works pretty good, lowers the bunks for easier offloading and loading. Right now I have an old bungee cord holding it closed.

My question - Is the handle supposed to stay in place or is there a catch or latch that holds it in place? I don't want it to move forward when traveling because the boat wouldn't be supported properly

Any input would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• Gator trailer pics 012 sm.JPG
    Gator trailer pics 012 sm.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Gator trailer pics 011.JPG
    Gator trailer pics 011.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Gator trailer pics 002.jpg
    Gator trailer pics 002.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Gator trailer pics 009.jpg
    Gator trailer pics 009.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 0

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Gator Tilt Trailer issues, Help??

I have a '61 gator tilt trailer. I don't have pictures at the moment since the boat is stored away from my home at the present time. But from your pictures, it looks like you are missing some things:

There is a spring for the lockpin for the tilt mechanism that is attached to a rod that goes across to the handle. The handle actually does two things, it releases the lock pin and it lowers the bunks so that the boat can use the rollers to roll off the trailer. The lockpin mechansim is also what holds the tilt handle in its place which explains why your doesn't hold. If I get a chance, I can try to get pictures, but it may take a little time. If I get pics, I could PM you if you'd like.

The trailer is actually a decent trailer. Mine is a bit rusty and I wanted to restore it along with the boat that sits on it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

very rare trailer, not many sold, and fewer still around.

64osby

Admiral

jdsgrog,

Thanks for the reply. I'd really like to see some pics, post them when you get a chance. See if I can cobble up something to match.

I've never had to use the tilt, I just put it in a little deeper and float it off at my local launch. It would be nice to have it functioning.

But now you have me thinking if I would want the tilt and the bunks to work as one or as seperate operations.

tashasdaddy
very rare trailer, not many sold, and fewer still around.

Does this mean it's worth something or like most things I have, its just hard to find parts?

I am looking for a spare rim for a 6.90 -9.0 tire for this. The trailer places I've been to just give me a funny look when I tell them the tire size.

This trailer is in pretty good shape for a Michigan trailer. I have put some paint on it and changed out the hitch to a 2'. Not a restore but just cleaned it up. I also installed a homemade front rollor to make loading and offloading easier and take some of the stress off the boat. The keel kept wearing at the rollers. I also made my own loading guides, it really helps on those windy days.

Attachments

• Gator trailer pics 004.JPG
    Gator trailer pics 004.JPG
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Gator trailer pics 007.JPG
    Gator trailer pics 007.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 0

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

I'll post pics when I get a chance. I've never personally had to use the tilt function on the trailer since the ramps i use are pretty good. But it is a nice option.

BTW, my trailer had 12" wheels on it (4.80X12). Also, mine was for a 14' runabout.

64osby

Admiral

jdsgrog

BTW, my trailer had 12" wheels on it (4.80X12). Also, mine was for a 14' runabout

Mine holds a 16'8" 64 Crosby Does a great job, once I had the springs redone. I wish it more of a standard size tire and rim. No dealers stock the tires, only wholesalers, and I can not find the rims.

215Sesame

Cadet

Need I have this same trailer in mint condition. I just restored mine. Changed the 33" springs to new ones. So I installed new ones and could not fine new ones so bought new ones that where not 33".

215Sesame

Cadet

I have this same trailer and pictures. My "mechanized transom cradles" have all the parts and work fine. Need pic? I have then before and after restore.

215Sesame

Cadet

I have this trailer. It is a Gator C-100 1959. I have exact same trailer except I bought mine July 2009 the only thing missing is the tire hubs. I have pictures before I started to rebuild this trailer. New it was yellow, mine is now red with gray primer.

64osby

Admiral

215Sesame Could you post some pics of the tilt release mechanism. I am trying to get mine operating but am missing the release "pin" that connects to the handle on the the side of the trailer

woosterken

Lieutenant

64osby,
here is a couple picts of mine,the spring is loaded to keep the pin in the locked position,raise the handle pull out,put behind the lock out tab.
I have not used it,my trailer rides on 20.5 x8.0-10 tires so Iam already close to the water :)

trailertiltlock001.jpg

trailertiltlock002.jpg

woosterken

64osby

Admiral

woosterken,

Thanks for the pics, They don't match what I have but they look like what I would like to do.

If mine is like some others out there the bunk release handle is connected to the tilt release and lock. I'm still thinking I might like to have the two operations seperate.

gunplumber7

Cadet

Did you ever get what you needed? I know this is late but if you are still working on this I think I can help you. Let me know.

Last edited:

gunplumber7

Cadet

Crosby, are you still working on this or did you fabricate the parts? I believe I have what you need if you get with me. I have a Gator trailer I am converting to a canoe trailer.

64osby

Admiral

gunplumber7

Soory about not getting back to you. Got away from boats and on to other projects.

If you have some parts I maybe interested.

I'm still debating if I want the tilt and the bunks to work together or seperate.

jdsgrog

That exactly what I'm supossed to have, maybe minus the rust. I know my trailer didn't look to good. I sand a little and spray a lot to keep the rust at bay.

I do know the mounting bracket for the control arm is very weak on mine. I have to try so of my ugly welding and make it a little stronger.

Thanks and again sorry for not keeping up. TOO much work and not enough play.

jdsgrog

Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, mine is a bit rusty, but nothing has gone through yet. It's still very functional despite a slightly bent coupler. Never had an issue towing with it, though.

I was planning on restoring it, but I think I'm going to try to get rid of it, seeing if there is a nice home. I got a newer trailer for my fishing boat, and I don't have time for boat projects except what is necessary to have my current boat running. Also, I need room in my garage.