Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

dnifedem85

Seaman
Has anyone ever had experience using rustolium in a spray can to paint their trailer? It seems spray would be easier to apply since there are all of the lighting wires to paint around if you roll. Does using the spray can produce horrible results? Thanks for any help from your experiences.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Spray vs. rolling paint on trailer

I would roll it on as it would be thicker and less likely to chip. Then go around with a spray can and touch up the hidden areas that you couldn't reach.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Big brush, roller etc for me.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had all the stuff to roll and brush it on, me and my dad thought that was the way to fly.
Well we got to grinding the rust off it today and came to the realization that the best way to paint it was going to be a spray gun. So we put 50% of 3/4's of a gallon of white Rust~Oleum and 3/4's of a gallon paint thinner and the trailer looks great.
I dont think spray cans would work as you would need 8 thousand of them.
Doing it with a brush and small roller (Dad claims the foam brushes and rollers dont leave lines) would work ok but there are alot of nooks and crannies that are a PITA to get at.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I had all the stuff to roll and brush it on, me and my dad thought that was the way to fly.
Well we got to grinding the rust off it today and came to the realization that the best way to paint it was going to be a spray gun. So we put 50% of 3/4's of a gallon of white Rust~Oleum and 3/4's of a gallon paint thinner and the trailer looks great.
I dont think spray cans would work as you would need 8 thousand of them.
Doing it with a brush and small roller (Dad claims the foam brushes and rollers dont leave lines) would work ok but there are alot of nooks and crannies that are a PITA to get at.

I agree.....thinned/reduced paint sprayed on is the way to go! It hasnt been that long, but im still happy with the way mine came out.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Im going to be painting my trailer soon. It has some rust spots where the keel pads didn't drain well. I used naval jelly to stop the rust, I deen to use more. Anyone know if the rust oleum will help stop the rust that might be left? I agree spray cans would be costly and I'll be rolling/spraying (Paint sprayer) mine on.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you remove a bunch of that rust by grinding, sanding, wire wheeling or whatever the Rust~Oleum will do a good job of stopping the rust for a few years, you could also prime the rusty spots after grinding the rust off and before painting the primer will further help prevent the rust from returning.
Rust~Oleum makes rusty metal primer.

Shizzy

Ensign

I would roll it on as it would be thicker and less likely to chip. Then go around with a spray can and touch up the hidden areas that you couldn't reach.

Actually, thickly applied paint will chip easier.

I am no fan of rollers and brushes EVER. if its a small trailer then spray cans would work, but anything larger needs a spray gun.

as far as stopping what rust is there, aside from removing it 100%, its still going to be there. coating it with a layer of paint will slow it down.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Im going to be painting my trailer soon. It has some rust spots where the keel pads didn't drain well. I used naval jelly to stop the rust, I deen to use more. Anyone know if the rust oleum will help stop the rust that might be left? I agree spray cans would be costly and I'll be rolling/spraying (Paint sprayer) mine on.

Rustoleum's Rusty Metal Primer works very well.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer

Clean all the loose rust off and brush a rust converter on those spots.
Mike

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have done two so far with brushes and rollers and both have turned out great. Yes there are some difficult places to get to but it is possible to do with very good results. I liked the fact that I could do it at home without having to take the boat off the trailer. I used rustoleum satin white and a 4" foam roller for the flat parts and a good china bristle for the corners etc. If it is prepped well and primed well Very good results can be had painting by hand if you take your time and know how to paint. Plus you can work on it as you have the time. Once finished I applied some pinstripe same color as the boat and the trailer looked great.

countvlad

Chief Petty Officer

Has anyone ever had experience using rustolium in a spray can to paint their trailer? It seems spray would be easier to apply since there are all of the lighting wires to paint around if you roll. Does using the spray can produce horrible results? Thanks for any help from your experiences.

ive sprayed 2 years in a row but next year i plan to roll or use a brush... depends on the condition of the trailer you might need lots of spray cans to touch up the trailer, i put at least 3 spray coats .... like everyone else said brushing its obviously a thicker coat ... plus you dont have to deal with the wind....

dont forget, it makes a big diffrence when you wash the trailer down after every use...

great gricey

Seaman Apprentice

I used a roller and a brush with implement paint designed for tractors and other metal objects that stay outside in the elements. The paint goes on smoothly and you usually only need to put on one coat - some areas will need touch up. The brush will get into the tight areas and the roller makes it much easier without brush strokes visible in the paint.