Best 1/2 Ton Pickup for Towing?

Dustin07

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Best 1/2 Ton Pickup for Towing?

Just do the right thing---BUY AMERICAN

Don't Toyota and Honda employ basically as many American auto workers as the Detroit Three but utilize less bailout money? ;) I'm not convinced there is such a thing as American anymore. The Vin on my Chevy Silverado tells me it was assemblied in Canada, BTW. There goes "buy American".

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

funny..that's what I said to my buddy while I was pulling his Ford out of a ditch a month ago...:D

HAHAHA so thats why those ford f-150 commercials stressed the fact that their tow hooks were stronger than those found on the other half ton trucks

chop1036

Recruit

Drove a Chevy all my life, switched to a Nissan Titan and love it. Pulls my 25 ft Bayliner with ease.

Bigpat5123

Cadet

2500lbs is not sweet for any SUV or pickup. Most trucks and suvs are rated at 3500lbs. I tow my 18' sea ray with 115 merc ob and a full 18 gallon tank with my 09 Tacoma 5 speed with 2.7l 4-cyclinder. Boat, motor and trailer probably around 2500lbs and the Tacoma pulls it with ease. Look around and see what you like and fits you best. Like I said most newer suvs and trucks that arn't "compact" have a 3500lb rating. Good luck with your search.

skargo

Banned

2500lbs is not sweet for any SUV or pickup. Most trucks and suvs are rated at 3500lbs. I tow my 18' sea ray with 115 merc ob and a full 18 gallon tank with my 09 Tacoma 5 speed with 2.7l 4-cyclinder. Boat, motor and trailer probably around 2500lbs and the Tacoma pulls it with ease. Look around and see what you like and fits you best. Like I said most newer suvs and trucks that arn't "compact" have a 3500lb rating. Good luck with your search.

HUH? MOST trucks that aren't compact have a 3500 lb. rating? Most have a higher rating than that.
Maybe you were saying 3500 minimum?

Bigpat5123

Cadet

Yes sorry I meant they have at least a 3500lb tow rating.

deves3000gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i tow my 18' with a 88 dodge 1/2 ton. pulls it ok. I do worry about the trans. will put a cooler on it. but the moter has 310000 and stills runs strong. I do argree that all the 1/2 tons are capable of this weight, just though i'd get in on the fun.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

I would bet that if you took any 1/2t truck made in the last 20 years and stripped it down to a seat and power train not many could tell any difference. They all break down as well as the other. Best to choose the one you like cosmetically because they will all do the job. My 04 Titan breaks down just as much as any chevy, ford or dodge I ever owned.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Find the best deal...

If you have preferences between the trucks, than cater your search to that brand. If you don't then keep and eye on all of them and buy the one that does the best for the least.

I almost bought a GMC 2500 with a 6.0, but the dealership had lent it to an employee and wouldn't have it back for a week... I took that as, the employee intends to do some yard work, and needed a truck. No thanks.

Found my F250 for a deal, loved the truck and bought it.

2500 lbs, I wouldn't worry so much on the tow rating of the truck, as I would other things.

leoo24

Petty Officer 2nd Class

chiming in from across the pond (spain)...

have been looking for a bigger tow vehicle for my 21ft crownline (plus trailer weighs in at 4400lb) and have just bought a 93 land rover discovery, 3.5 rated at towing up to 8800lb, i should be ok :)

deves3000gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

OK I now know what truck i want. lol that video was crazy!!

Reg312

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a 2007 Ford F150 5.4 Lariat 4 door 2wd with limit slip rear axle. Very nice truck. Got 18 to 19 hwy unloaded. Worst mpg was 15. Ford under 2005 had different Trannys and mpg not as good. Now if your looking at a 5 -10 truck, well, hell, I still say Ford.

sbbamafan

Petty Officer 1st Class

This has been about beat up already but I have 2 things to say.

First, 2500 pounds is literally nothing to any truck. You are making a mountain out of a mole hill. I think even my wifes little Saab 9-3 (company car - neither of us would have actually chosen to spend our money on it) is rated to pull 3500#. Bottom line - for 2500 pounds you don't need a truck.

Second, and excuse me for venting and probably ticking some people off, IF I were looking at a new truck (and I have chosen to buy American the vast majority of my vehicles) I would not consider GM or Dodge. I hate saying this as I grew up a true GM fan and it was the ONLY thing my parents would have ever considered buying. Seeing them reduced to a quasi-government agency and knowing the profits are going NOT to the company but to the government and the UAW (OF ALL ENTITIES - THIS MAKES ME SICK) I refuse to by a GM or Doge product until the current situation changes. If I continue to buy American - IT WILL BE A FORD!

There - I feel better now. I should be asleep.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

I needed to move up to a 3/4 ton pickup to haul my new boat and trailer (up to 8K pounds total weight), When I started shopping 2 months ago to replace my '96 Chevy 1/2 ton, I stopped in to talk with the mechanic who's serviced all my cars for the past 20 years.

"Joe, what's my best bet in a truck about 5 or so years old? Chevy/GM? Ford? Dodge?"

"John, they ALL come through my shop. Every one of 'em is gonna break down sooner or later. Buy the one you like and leave the rest to me."

nauti thoughts

Recruit

Glad to hear you are buying american, I have had ford and chevys it is all personal prefrence, liked them both, they will tow that weight no problem.

deves3000gt

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well i used to tow my 18' 4400 lbs with a 88 dodge half ton. just bought a 2000 chevy 2500 with the 6.0 liter..... i love it it is like that boat is not even there. :D:):D