Better to tow in 2wd or 4wd

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer
Does it make a difference? Is one better than the other? I would think 4wd would be better since its sharing the load with all 4's instead of just the rear.

A.R.K.

Cadet
Re: Better to tow in 2wd or 4wd

You should always tow in 2wd. Switch to 4x4 at the ramp if you think you are going to get stuck. Most traditional 4x4's (not AWD) aren't meant to be driven on dry pavement in 4wd - you'll wear out your tires and put lots of unneeded strain on the drive line. And burn a lot of extra gas. The rear diff, axles, etc. should be more than strong enough to tow what ever the rated capacity of the vehicle is without using 4wd.

I have yet to need to use 4wd at the ramps I go to. Hope this helps. :)

drum23

Seaman Apprentice

Truck 4wd systems are not designed to work on hard paved roads. You will have a hard time making tighter turns in 4wd on paved roads (i've done it before accidentelly :redface:) It's fine to put the truck in 4wd on the ramp if you need extra traction, but you shouldn't drive miles down the road in 4wd, eventually it will tear up the truck.

blainer75

Cadet

Some trucks would be ok depending on the type of 4x4 system, as far as turning and such, but you are adding alot of wear and tear to the front drive train unnecessarily. I usually put my truck in 4x4 for when i am backing down the ramp just to make sure i don't spin out truying to come back up the ramp.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

oh yeah, i forgot about about how much it sucks trying to turn. lol

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

Don't ever use 4wd while doing just casual driving. Use it only when you need it, such as on the ramp, in mud, ect. Unless you have a vehicle with an AWD system, don't use 4x4 on pavement, especially when turning, unless you like broken axles.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

Don't ever use 4wd while doing just casual driving. Use it only when you need it, such as on the ramp, in mud, ect. Unless you have a vehicle with an AWD system, don't use 4x4 on pavement, especially when turning, unless you like broken axles.
Yup! Also will wreck your transfer case.$$$$$$$$

QC

Supreme Mariner

BTW, 4WD trucks actually have lower tow ratings because the added weight must be considered. There is no load carrying benefit to 4WD. Only a traction deal . . . In heavy trucks they try and limit "driven" wheels to one axle if payload is the main concern. Rare here in the US, but 6x2 tractors are very common in Europe.

The most efficient vehicle would be a 1x1 (unicycle) arrangement. Less stuff to turn ;)

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As has been stated never use 4WD on dry pavement. A transfer case is NOT a differential. You will break u-joints or axles with enough of that abuse. more likely with common NP208 and BW135x transfer cases is to stretch the chain drive or break it. With a gear driven case like a NP205 the case will be fine but it's your front driveline that'll likely pop first. So unless you have a differentiating transfer case like a NP203 don't do it. Even then, no benefit to it, just worse MPG.

I will say that it's fine to leave your front hubs locked on hard pavement with the transfer case in 2WD, assuming you don't have a locker in the front. No point to it though unless you got a short drive before needing 4WD again. Just more wear on the front axle bearings and worse MPG.

zach103

Commander

good thing you asked :).. i have had no problem with 2 wheel drive yet.

stubbsboogie

Chief Petty Officer

The system is not dsigned for just driving around. All sorts of issues, transfer case, torque converters, transmissions and differentials. Just to name a few of the problems you can have with this. Just use at the ramp.

BoatingCop

Chief Petty Officer

I rarley need 4wd at the ramp, but nice to have if putting in on a sand surface. The only acceptable use for 4wd on pavement is on the ramp. As stated before, DO NOT turn on pavement while in 4wd.

QC

Supreme Mariner

My second tow vehicle was an '85 Bronco II 2.8 with 4WD and a manual. I had around a 2500 lb 17 footer, no brakes :eek: But . . . 4WD low was awesome on the ramp. The wife pulled me out with that truck all the time. Just let go of the clutch at idle in 1st low and that weak sister would just idle up the ramp. Clutch lasted over 130,000 miles and then somebody flipped it . . . :( No, not me actually a Dairy farmer that bought it from my brother. I think he only had it a week or so.

Sorry to slightly hijack, I was getting choked up over that truck, sniff, sniff.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

do not use 4 low on pavement. That will really wreck things.
Only if you try to turn on pavement. If it's a straight shot up the ramp or the pavement ends before you have to turn you'll be fine.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If you have automatic hubs on the 4WD that is being turned on dry pavement, they will usually be the first thing to break.

The outside wheels of a vehicle in a turn must travel a greater distance than the inside wheels. Because of this, the outside wheels have to rotate faster than the inside wheels, in order to "keep up." On dry pavement, where tires will have no ability to slip, having an axle with a limited slip differential engaged, is a recipe for disaster .... as in disaster of the wallet.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

What don't use 4 low?

Sorry dude but you don't know what your talking about.

If you have anything but a tinny and you have low range use it, using 4 hi on the ramp is just silly.

I'm guessing you haven't spent enough time using a four wheel drive to say something like that.

It's a gear man nothing else.

By putting it in low you can haul any size boat the tow vehicle is capable of towing up any ramp WITHOUT ABUSING your truck.

Don't mean to be harsh but your way wrong.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I was getting choked up over that truck, sniff, sniff.

I hear ya man.

I so miss my 76' Blazer it would even do 2 Low man I wish they still did that.