How to set up the trailer?

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How to set up the trailer?

Thats right I noticed about the one year old thread but its a good one. anyway I finally re-do my trailer sharing the weight between keel rollers and bunks, just need to to give it a ride on the road to see how it works...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I don't know about the people that have posted on this thread, but I see real "jokers" every single day at the launch ramp. Most people don't know how to launch a boat and many trailers are not set up right. I blame the dealers that are doing the setting up (and training or lack thereof), because many that I talk to don't have a clue either.

When I say "most" people, that is not an exaggeration.

So, regardless of who started the thread or when, maybe somebody will learn something today.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Well you've answered the all roller question but seamed to ignore the other about tilt trailers and short bunks. I'll incluce 2 pictures of different setups and then you explain how to remove the rollers and still keep them on the trailers. Both are original Gator trailers

trailerandboat005.jpg

That's an example to you?

Oh my how can anybody respond to something that's that big of a piece of junk!

Seriously??

and the other is a tilt for a tinny not at all relative to a fiberglass Palm Beach on a bunk trailer w/ center rollers.

Bunks under a fiberglass boat support under basically where the stringers are which is the strongest part of the hull, not the keel like your tinny.

A piece of plywood on a landscape trailer works perfect for those tinnys too.

Old post maybe funny but those pics are worse .

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree with craig but I usually get shot down in these type of threads. It makes so sense to me why you'd want to put pretty much the full weight of the boat on a couple pressure points on top of a couple rubber rollers instead of spreading that load out over the bunks. No sense whatsoever. (I'm out, bye)

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Well NSBGraig you did a very good job of sidestepping the question by redirecting to a picture of a project boat. Why I don't know. Must be because you never used a tilt trailer. But clearly even that boat would not sit on the trailer very well w/o the rollers and neither would the other.

The reason they use forklifts with long padded forks to put boats up into storage racks has nothing to do with trailers either.
Have never been to Fla. but up here on the Great Lakes they seam to store the large cruisers on cradles that only support the hull on 4 places and they've been doing it for years.

Well you sound like an expert on trailers of all types so I not going to debate this with you any longer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I agree with craig but I usually get shot down in these type of threads. It makes so sense to me why you'd want to put pretty much the full weight of the boat on a couple pressure points on top of a couple rubber rollers instead of spreading that load out over the bunks. No sense whatsoever. (I'm out, bye)

Everybody has a different sense...that's why there are more than one opinion published here. I just wonder how Boston Whaler came to make the statements that they did. Do they know more than we do?

zigzag

Petty Officer 2nd Class

despite the arguments and the fact the thread is over a year old, i must say that this discussion has been a great help to me at just the right time.

over the past few days i've been revamping my trailer to accept my aluminum jon and fiberglass runabout. i've added an adjustable keel roller, rebuilt the bunks which were 2x4s on edge and are now converted to 2x6s laying flat. i've also moved some lights around, and adjusted the other rollers and added a wheeled jack stand. also building a nice set of trailer guides to help keep me lined up.

even though it's a year old, i for one appreciate everyones input on the matter. it has helped me immensely!

thanks fellas!

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Well NSBGraig you did a very good job of sidestepping the question by redirecting to a picture of a project boat. Why I don't know. Must be because you never used a tilt trailer. But clearly even that boat would not sit on the trailer very well w/o the rollers and neither would the other.

The reason they use forklifts with long padded forks to put boats up into storage racks has nothing to do with trailers either.
Have never been to Fla. but up here on the Great Lakes they seam to store the large cruisers on cradles that only support the hull on 4 places and they've been doing it for years.

Well you sound like an expert on trailers of all types so I not going to debate this with you any longer.

What did I sidestep?

Please do clarify?

You posted two pics that are not even remotely relevant to the discussion as they meant something that I don't know what. Of course that boat won't stay up if you remove any of the junk it's sitting on.

My previous trailer was a tilt my present is a magic tilt non tilting one. They are identical execpt for the tilt. Both held the boat up just the same.

(the big crusiers are still on surface areas way greater then the contact point of a couple of rollers and yes the forks and the racks have something directly to do with trailer setup they are bunks and they support the boats properly, just as important as where you sling a big boat)

:rolleyes:MOST BUNK TRAILERS DON'T HAVE ANY ROLLERS!:rolleyes: