How should my boat rest on the trailer bunks??

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 14 foot fiberglass Glastron V-145 built in '69 with a trailer that has a carpeted bunk on each side to the rear and middle rollers.

The trailer may or may not be original to the boat and the boat mostly sits on the middle rollers and leans on one bunk.

There is a 1 1/2 inch gap between the hull and bunk making the boat bump around a little when out on the road.

Most of the time the boat is just sitting on the middle rollers.

Should my boat's weight be distributed among both bunks and rollers? Or just the bunks or is it okay the way it is?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• MVC-307F.JPG
    MVC-307F.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 1

NelsonQ

Lieutenant
Re: How should my boat rest on the trailer bunks??

Looks like the weight is too forward and the bunk is not properly supporting the back of the boat.

You need to balance the load over the bunks on both sides evenly to prevent ackward weight shifts when towing as this could lead damage to the boat and possibly shift it off the trailer in the worst case.

Also, if its bouncing, are you using transom straps when trailering?

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like the weight is too forward and the bunk is not properly supporting the back of the boat.

You need to balance the load over the bunks on both sides evenly to prevent ackward weight shifts when towing as this could lead damage to the boat and possibly shift it off the trailer in the worst case.

Also, if its bouncing, are you using transom straps when trailering?

Thanks for the info. Can I use 3/4 inch marine ply coated with poly resin for new bunks? I have lots of odds and ends of it due to the rebuilding and also can fiberglass it to seal out water.

I have no straps at all except for the bow because I am restoring the boat. Never took it anyplace out on the road yet except when driving it home from the previous owner, to the scrap metal yard to have it weighed and to and from the boat launch across the street.

The boat nearly jumped of the trailer moments ago when I went over RR tracks at about 2 mph.:eek:

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I suspect that those bunks are 'popping' the boat on the bumps even crossing the road.

I don't think you'd need to spend a lot of $$$ of marine plywood. Why not PT 2X4 covered in the proper carpet. Cheaper and easier to put together. They should last as long as the carpet.

I don't think anything beyond that is required although others may know better. My first trailer was rollers, and the current one is only 6 years old and the bunks are solid, but I'd go the PT route.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, just PT 2x4's and exterior carpet. I used the cheapo outdoor carpet from Menards. The weight should be on both the keel rollers and the bunks.

Darren Nemeth

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the Menards tip. My gym is down the street from one and I will check it out tomorrow.

I have loads of Marine grade fir here. It is in various places in the house in different shapes and sizes. I'll use that for the bunks. I don't know what else to use it for and there is way too much of it to step around.

My house has been taken over by plywood because I don't have a garage.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

It appears the bunks are adjusted as high as they will go but you can lower the rollers to make the boat sit down on both bunks. Evenly distribute the weight between bunks and rollers.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Since you are going to make new bunks anyway and yours are vertical, you could use 2x6's or 2x8's so that you can get enough height on them to get the boat supported on them.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Since you are going to make new bunks anyway and yours are vertical, you could use 2x6's or 2x8's so that you can get enough height on them to get the boat supported on them.

Exactly what i was thinking.No adjustment left with the brackets so go with wider boards...problem solved...:D

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

It should be resting on the bunks and just barely sitting on the rollers.

Your doing a lot of work on it for it to be sitting wrong on the trailer.

Is that a cored hull?

If so you should throw out the rollers and add center bunks.

jonesg

Admiral

a quick and simple fix is just add teflon slide pads to the top of the bunks, leave the rug , just screw the pads right on top.

I did similar to mine to get it to sit right when I ran out of adjustment.
Chock front of trailer, put a jack under the stern with a suitable (notched or flat) wooden block and lift the stern 'just' off the bunks.
Stabilize the hull with wooden blocks between trailer and hull both sides while you fix the bunks.
Unbolt the bunks and slide out, install pads, bolt bunks back on and lower the boat.

I wouldn't drive mine down the driveway without transom straps.