Trailer wheel bearing adjustment tip

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
I've seen a number of discussions related to the proper pre-load or adjustment used when installing your trailer wheel bearings.

Some people like em tight and some people like em loose. I've even seen these two opinions strongly backed with websites telling why they need to be one way or another.

So, let me say I've done a lot of em.

Personally I prefer a bit of play after installation. But certainly not so much that the seal is going to distort to a point it leaks.

I have found that some trailers have course thread spindles, and some fine thread. Some times it's impossible (especially with course thread) to find that "sweet spot" for the nut to be located where a cotter pin is put into place and still have the desired play, or preload.

Here's what I do.

If I can't get the nut to line up close enough I remove the nut, clean in solvent, then run a big flat fine cut file across the mating surface. I try to turn the nut for each stroke of the file. (actually I like to drag the nut towards me over a stationary file)

After a few strokes, then a wash, or blow off of any filings, I put the nut back on and see how the cotter pin aligns now.

I can repeat this till I end up with that PERFECT amount of play I so much desire in my trailer's wheel bearings.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer wheel bearing adjustment tip

Great "precision" idea. I go till any play is gone then back up to the nearest hole for the pin. Worked fine so far for me.

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

Some of the older trailers had such course threads it is impossible(?) to find the "sweet spot"

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Shorelander changed their bearing preload procedure to provide zero play. I've made three 500 mile trips with this new trailer -- two with the bearings set as delivered from the factory. On those two trips the hubs were warmer (but not hot) than on any trailer I've owned with very slight play. I just returned from another 500 mile trip but this time before I left, I set one bearing so it was very slightly loose. Which side ran cooler?? The loose one! Both sides are now set the way Shorelander used to recommend adjustment.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

A little play in mine and they run nice and cool. Tighter = more potential friction = more heat in my opinion.

captlee

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Mine are a little loose (tighten then backed off to next hole). After 2-3 seasons in saltwater I throw em out and start all over again :D