Lubricating Leaf Springs

Irv964

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lubricating Leaf Springs

WD-40 is not the stuff to use on your leaf springs, it contains no silicone and therefore doesn't last that long. If you want longevity, try a rust inhibitor spray such as Rust Check or Krown, they actually creep into the tight spots and deter corrision as well as provide lubrication. Great stuff imo, I have been using it for years and I spray it on my trailers, cars and trucks. It won't hurt your electrical systems, it will help them as well.
If you can't purchase it in the states, try LPS, Fluid Film, or any other penetrant that contains silicone..........Irv964

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I like chain lube, it sprays on thin and then as the solvents evaporate it leaves a somewhat thick lubricant that will stay in place for long period of time. Most of the other spray on products like WD 40 don't stay in place long enough to do much good, motor oil disappears too fast also. Some springs have plastic wear plates between them to eliminate contact.

But back to what Bond-o says "any grease is better than no grease at all"

dr.livingston

Seaman

I've noticed that many leaf springs down here in salty south Florida seem to be covered with something that looks like tar. Maybe it is just grease that has picked up a coating of road dust.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Hardware store that sells Bar and Chain Oil for a chainsaw. It is VERY sticky and will adhere better. The WD40 will clean the springs then spread bar and chain oil on them. It sticks to metal better than motor oil.

salty87

Commander

WD 40?
I have been using WD 40 for ant problems,. ants all over the house,.
what I do ,. is spray the ant pathways with WD 40,.,. it does NOT kill them,. but,. what happens is they,. walk into it,.,. slip,.,. and break their necks,.,.

not really related....try WD on an ant bite...stops itching in seconds

abj87

Petty Officer 1st Class

Trailer springs are built cheaply with no wear pads(unlike auto springs) so they will squeak a little. There is nothing wrong with letting them squeak.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Think about this,whatever you use pollutes the water every time you back the trailer in.
A waterproof marine grease like Triple Guard will stick and not wash off in the water.
WD-40 or motor oil will just leave an oil slick every time you launch.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Think about this,whatever you use pollutes the water every time you back the trailer in.
A waterproof marine grease like Triple Guard will stick and not wash off in the water.
WD-40 or motor oil will just leave an oil slick every time you launch.

And depending on where you go, you might run into the guy just standing at the ramp watching for the oil slick. Not a cheap fine.

Benny1963

Lieutenant

grease um wrap them in duct tape and run till tape falls off
works like a charm

dr.livingston

Seaman

A trailer manufacturer recommended a product called LPS3. You can get it at most Ace Hardware stores. It sprays on like a light oil and dries to a waxy film. The manufacturer claims indoor protection against rust of a couple of years. No mention is made of outdoor protection.