Largest Boat we can trailer??

Profiler

Recruit
We are looking for a large boat that we can trailer due to hurricanes. We have seen a 35' Triton. Are there anymore manufacturers that make trailer-able boats as large as this? What is the largest size one can pull with a 1 ton dually?

tommays

Admiral
Re: Largest Boat we can trailer??

The 8'6" beam is the practial limit without and oversize permit pretty much everywear and there are many boats in the 28' range built this way

The 10' beam on the Triton is gonna get some unwanted looks sees from the police ;)

The big boats with 300 to 400 gallons of fuel at 2000+ pounds plus water and other stuff are sure gonna add up to a massive load

I see a lot of 40' go-fast boats here ,but there pulling them with F450 or F550 crewcab trucks

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

8ft 6inch beam is the max without having to do permits around here

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

personally I would tow something that is within the towing capacity of the vehicle.....and check the weather forecast.

Titanium48

Petty Officer 1st Class

personally I would tow something that is within the towing capacity of the vehicle.....and check the weather forecast.

I would suspect that any boat that does not need an overdimentional load permit will be within the 6+ ton towing capacity of a 1 ton truck.

ebry710

Ensign

The 8'6" beam is the practial limit without and oversize permit pretty much everywear and there are many boats in the 28' range built this way

Find the boat and trailer you like but with three thing in mine:
1) the beam
2) gross trailer weight (trailer. boat, fuel, etc), try to keep the weight below 10,000 (unless your a professional/skilled driver)
3) keep the height below the bridges you plan to go under (talk to your highway design people in your state).

Once you find it, buy a truck that can tow it.

A properly equipped 3500/350 can easily tow a 10,000 trailer, but you should have the added features of an electric trailer brake, an ez-lift and a anti-sway bar.

You can't beat a balanced trailer and a properly equipped truck. "It's a beautiful thing".

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I would suspect that any boat that does not need an overdimentional load permit will be within the 6+ ton towing capacity of a 1 ton truck.

Me to but no matter what you have to take it into consideration especially if looking for the largest trailerable boat possible

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

There are a few "go fast" type offshore fishing boats that are trailerable. Here in Louisiana, I see quite a few Contenders in the 28 to 36 foot range with twin or triple outboards. For any of them built in this style (narrow beam, center console), a 350/3500 class truck would be fine.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Total height of no more than 13ft 6 inches on the trailer.And 102 inches wide and no permit needed.
Just need a good tow vehicle.
A 3500 series dual rear wheel pickup truck will pull it fine.
We drive those trucks all the time that gross 24000 lbs load truck and trailer.