What do you pull your boat with?

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: What do you pull your boat with?

I'll be pulling my 19' '87 Starcraft Medalist with an '02 Toyota Tundra 4.7 that I bought a couple weeks ago.

BeerMonkey

Seaman

i pull this
normal_boat_010.jpg
a 89 20' suntracker bass buggy with this
normal_boat_005.jpg

2007 2 door rubicon

lucky for me i only go about 1/2mi to the lake because even though i think this whole deal weights 2,200 and my tow rationg is 2500 my jeep but it doesnt like pulling this, stoping is no problem it just has a crappy motor

Pony

Rear Admiral

I used to use a 96' Dakota with the 3.9L V6. Now I use an 04' Silverado with the 5.3L V8. There is a noticeable difference :D

Ravman

Cadet

i pull mine with a 02 chevy 2500hd ext. cab 4x4. i figure my the boat full of fuel, with batteries and everything else under the sun that the admiral brings with us for a day on the water probably weighs about 6500 lbs with trailer and i have no problems getting around.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Pull ,mine in my sig and a 31' camper with my '07 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 with the 6.7L Cummins.
No problems.

J JACKSON

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i pull my 19ft stingray with my 99 gmc K3500 crew cab dually I know its over kill but it also drags around any thing else i need to move.

jljue

Cadet

I pull an 18' Skeeter bass boat with an '07 Nissan Titan CC 4x4 with Big Tow,and the truck doesn't even know that a boat is attached to it. I at one time had a 24' Lowe Suncruiser pontoon boat that I pulled with a '97 Mercury Mountaineer V8, but the tail was wagging the dog, if you know what I mean. Both of them are gone (actually, dad is driving the Mountaineer), but I would love to know how much better the Titan would have pulled the pontoon boat compared to the '05 F-150 that replaced the Mountaineer.

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

2001 -38' Scarab - 2000 - GMC -3500 DUALLY/7.3
1992- 22' Celebrity BR - 2004 GMC Denali 6.0
1994 -27' Fountain tw-200's - stays in water..on lift

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

98 Jimmy 2 door.
Oldie but a goodie (so far !!! )

Attachments

• Harley May 08 010.jpg
    Harley May 08 010.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0

harveyzoo

Recruit

I pull a '96 Maxum 17.5' with Merc 3.0 135hp open bow with single axle trailer w/ no brakes using a 1993 Dakota 4X4 X-Cab 5.2 V8. Plenty of power but needs a little more room to stop. It has front disc, rear drum. I use a Class 3 hitch I put on. I have also used the bumper which states 2000#. The boat and trailer are 3000#. I also use a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica Touring w/ 3.5 V6 and the autostick feature with a Class 3 hitch I put on. No trailer brakes makes stopping tougher, and get up is slower, but I get 15-17 mpg going. I don't complain. I have no tranny cooler either. But I don't push it. No problems on the steep ramps.

LIBoatingGuy

Recruit

I pull my Glastron GS249 with a Jeep Grand Cherokee, 8Cyl, Hemi. It pulls the boat without issue. I have pulled this boat with a Jeep Grand Cherokee Inline 6Cyl, also without issue - but I could sense a little strain on the engine. The engine would start pinging after about 15 minutes of towing.

LC boating

Cadet

first time poster, but i will chime in.
i tow an 17' aquasport with a 115 yamaha, using a 4WD 4.6 liter V8 explorer. you feel it (especially on pot holes) but is a beast at getting it out of the water, i just wish it was flat enough on the highway around here to get it in to O/D, between the boat and SUV, the gas bill for a week-end is never pretty.

Alan Hicks

Cadet

'74 Fishmaster 14' tri-hull fiberglass stick-steer with a 402 Merc on a single axle Gator tilt trailer that's probably from the 60s. All pulled by a '02 F250 with overload springs (exact same truck as the F350, just a different badge) with the 444 Turbo Diesel, 4WD, and a 6-speed manual transmission. To put it lightly... what boat?

fishingman220

Chief Petty Officer

I pull my 1996 Pro Line 220 cuddy fish with my 1998 suburban with 9in of lift and 36in tires. it pulls fine with a programer, intake, headers, and full exhaust.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

first time poster, but i will chime in.
i tow an 17' aquasport with a 115 yamaha, using a 4WD 4.6 liter V8 explorer. you feel it (especially on pot holes) but is a beast at getting it out of the water, i just wish it was flat enough on the highway around here to get it in to O/D, between the boat and SUV, the gas bill for a week-end is never pretty.

Welcome to iboats. Look forward to reading all your future posts.

Robj

Lieutenant

I pull my 18 foot bowrider with a Jeep Liberty, 3.7 l, with 5 speed manual. We just take it easy and it does fine, even though on one particular hill we are only doing about 35 mph. It could go faster but why thrash the motor to save a few extra minutes. Get 18 miles per US gal, fully loaded with boat. Not too bad in my book.

Have a great day,

Rob.

bertthedefender

Seaman Apprentice

I pull my 17' Maxum with my ex British army Land Rover. Its a 2.5L non-turbo diesel and does 70mph if you really push it. It slows down going up the hills, but it drives exactly the same either fully laden or empty!

Great for beach recovery too - never been stuck yet!

Attachments

• bert.jpg
    bert.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 0

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I pull my 17' Maxum with my ex British army Land Rover. Its a 2.5L non-turbo diesel and does 70mph if you really push it. It slows down going up the hills, but it drives exactly the same either fully laden or empty!

Great for beach recovery too - never been stuck yet!

The good old British Land Rover !!!! They pretty much go on forever. My Brother in law has 2. One he does the off road racing with and the other for everyday transportation. He is in the Bolton area.
They are very difficult to get actually "stuck" with.

bertthedefender

Seaman Apprentice

The good old British Land Rover !!!! They pretty much go on forever. My Brother in law has 2. One he does the off road racing with and the other for everyday transportation. He is in the Bolton area.
They are very difficult to get actually "stuck" with.

I know Bolton quite well! Live about 25 mins drive away (45 mins in the Land Rover!) and used to go up there for nights out in my youth. Got family up there too.

The Land Rover just keeps going and going - a bit of maintenance and the thing will run forever. Its 17 years old and has 40,000 miles on the clock. It does about 25mpg. Its draughty, full of dents and spiders but I wouldn't swap it, and most things that go wrong can be fixed with a hammer and a pair of pliers! ;)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I use my 94 F350 Ford bucket truck with a 7.3 to pull mine. Right now it costs me about $4.60 for every 6 mile that I tow my boat. Boat is the one in my avatar. Tri-axle trailer (1400lbs by itself) and then the boat thats fully loaded weighs in at 7900 lbs. Truck seems that it could use some more umph, but it is pulling the total of 19,000 lbs including the truck weight. The whole rig is about 60' long. Makes it rough to get into some of the ramps. That is why I keep going to the same lake year after year. It is only 15 miles away and I launch in the spring and haul out during the fall.

During haul out, the bow eye gets too much stress trying to haul the monster onto the trailer using the winch. The bucket on the truck really helps as I use it to help lift up on the bow and then I retract the boom pulling the boat up to the winch tower.

Even with the gas my boat uses, it still gets better mileage than my tow vehicle :D