Help with attaching trailer to truck ?

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Until now my wife has had to help direct me, as I reverse the truck and ball under the trailer tow hitch. I would like to be able to do the "hook up" by myself and am wondering which is the best method.

The trailer is too heavy for me to manhandle it over the ball.

I have seen ads for the "V" shaped metal piece that "guides the trailer hitch over the ball" but this involves "nudging" the trailer back from its resting point. What I need is a system that allows me to line things up but not move the boat trailer until everything is hooked up.

I am thinking of a flag system but does anyone have any suggestions on a relatively cheep way of doing this. Please!!!

Thanks

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Help with attaching trailer to truck ?

I use a huge convex mirror that hangs on the tailgate. Costs like $20 from Overtons. Works great.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

there are flags, rods and the guide you mentioned on the market.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I'm guessing here that you don't have a wheeled tongue jack on your rig. If that's so, get one...makes it so much easier to move your rig around and hitch it up. If you do have one...nevermind.

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another option is a backup camera. They now make models that can be fitted to existing vehicles.

Although pricier than other suggestions here, it is something both you and your wife can use every time you put the truck in reverse. We have one (with Nav system that came with vehicle), and I can back that thing within a gnat's pubic hair of the target.

JAL51974

Chief Petty Officer

Harbor Freight has an inexpensive set up I bought several yrs. ago- telescoping poles with a red top. One goes on the ball and one on the receiver on the trailer, you line them both up and your are good to go. Since they telescope they easily store in the compartment between the seats of my truck.

INJUN

Petty Officer 1st Class

tashadaddy's reply works well. I made my own using a wood dowel epoxied to a magnet (times 2). The length (height) of the dowels was dictated by sight.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

My wife usually isn't around when I hook the trailer, so I just take my time and I can usually get the ball within a 1/2 inch of the trailer the first try. I don't use any aids to get it close. I can pretty much tell by looking how close the trailer is in the rear view mirror. Practice makes perfect!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

What I do is lean over to the center of the truck and then its a matter of lining it up with the center of the trailer. I have hooked up to mine 6 or 7 times alone, every time I do that, then hop out and see how far, then back it up and drop it on.

zach103

Commander

i would go with what td said. unless you dont want to buy anything then do what 642mx said just go slow and keep practicing.. my buddys hooked up his landscaping trailer so many times he gets in within a 1/4in now.

Frugal Floater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yea save your money. It is pretty easy to get centered and distance is the difficult part at first. To get centered, I just look over my shoulder through the back window and align the center with bow of boat. Just raise your tongue up so if you overshoot the ball a bit, you have some room before the tongue hits your bumper and causes damage. You might have to get in and out of your truck several times as you creep closer, but you will get better.

Stop 6-12 inches from ball, adjusts left/right accordingly and creep back a bit and check again. Put on your ebrake to prevent that 1-2 inch roll after you place it in park. Before you know it, it will only take 2 or 3 ins and outs to get in centered and your hole in ones will become more frequent.

2kwik4u

Seaman Apprentice

I did the in/out/in/out routine all last year. Worked OK. I did the "have the GF help me line up" method a few times. That took much longer as she totally doesn't have any spatial abilities, and I run into the truck, the trailer, the ditch, and sometimes the garage with her guiding me. This year I have a nice convex mirror I picked up at Napa, and a rubber band to hold it to the bow stop on the trailer. I can look in the rearview mirror, and watch the mirror on the bow stop, and in turn watch the ball close in on the hitch. You need to be somewhat decent at centering the truck to the trailer, but that comes really quick. Then use the mirrors to get the distance spot on!

shipoffools

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With a little trial and error it isn't hard to guide yourself on the trailer. Find a reference point to get centered, and then when you do get the thing lined up take a careful look before you actually drop the trailer on the hitch, that will help you get a visual reference for the correct distance. for example in my driveway the bowstop disappears behind the tailgate just as the ball goes under the trailer. You will want to get a couple such visual references, but it will get easier with experience.

soler

Seaman Apprentice

If it were me, I'd get the magnet flags. I plan on getting some myself. I am pretty good at backing when I can line up the truck straight with the boat or other trailer. But a lot of times I don't have room to get the truck straight and have to back up at an angle. Also, even with a wheel on the tongue on the boat trailer, my driveway is steep. So when the boat is parked on the driveway, it is resting on chocks. So, there is no way that I can get it to turn even a little to "bump" it over the ball if I miss it by a few inches. Different story when on flat ground.

I have a big four wheel drive dually, and it is really hard to judge the depth because the tailgate blocks the view when looking thru the back window, and the fenders block a lot if I try to use the side mirrors. So, either the magnet flags or a big convex mirror would be what I'd use.

SOLER

BamaAlum97

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had a very similar problem when I first started out...after doing it a handful of times, you will get a feel for it. Kind of like backing your truck into a parking spot...eventually, you just get a feel for when you are back far enough.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I think the magnetic ball thing at harbor freight looks pretty decent, I thought about buying it, but I've gotten better and can back straight up. if you put a piece of masking tape on the center of your tailgate you can line that up with the bow of the boat, then its just the forward and back you need to worry about. guess that depends on how far on the trailer your boat goes.

TriadSteeler

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought the things from Harbor Freight. In the store they are always on sale for $9.99. They are perfect. I back up until the front of the trailer tongue bumps into the rod on my truck. Lines it up perfectly every time.