Help with attaching trailer to truck ?

jonsquatch

Cadet
Re: Help with attaching trailer to truck ?

I have to back in about 40 degrees off of straight to get to my boat, It may be possible to hook up a magnet to the side of the tongue but for me I just keep the tip of the bow lined up which for me is about even with my shoulder and back up till I think the tongue is out a foot or so. Then I throw her in park and hop out and check. Then I estimate the distance (or "walk it off" with my foot) and back it in the rest of the way making whatever adjustment you need. If you are lucky and have a gravel drive like me you can even leave the door open and throw a foot out and mark off the distance on the ground as a guide. I find the ground outside to be an excellent indicator of distance and angle.

I can usually get it just a quarter or so in front of perfect with just one or two stops. I like to take advantage of the roll back in the automatic transmission by going ahead and lowering the jack to get some weight on the ball and then grabbing the tailgate and rolling it just under so it will drop on, I may have to wiggle the bow a bit to line her up. If your doing it by yourself just don't be afraid to stop a few times and verify how far you have closed in on it. I know my wife can't translate corrections to me fast enough to be of use so even with a second person I still do it the same way, they just get to say STOP!!! :rolleyes: when I get close.

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

I have to hook up many different tow vehicles and many more trailers. What I try to do is approach the trailer straight on using the mirrors only. If the trailer is centered from side to side the amount showing in the mirrors will be even. Stop short of the hitch and get out and mentally measure the distance to the ball or use a tape measure if you need to (no shame here, just shame if you need this and don't use it). Walk back to your drivers door, get in but leave the door open. As you back up you can watch the ground go by the lower edge of the door. You can judge exactly with a tape on the ground or get pretty close if you have experience. Of course you have to hold your body and head relatively still in the cab to do this. You will soon get to where you can hook up any combination at any angle within a try or two. No real need for gizmos if you make a short study of it.

Experience is gained quickly if you watch what you are doing instead of just being a spectator to your actions.

Good luck and happy trailering.

boatflounder

Seaman Apprentice

prsctice is what it takes and a lot of in and out. got pretty goo with my old truck but would still have to move the trailer by hand,( always had someone as a spotter if the boat was on the trailer), but at the end of the day had to hook the empty trailer by myself. Bought a magnetic pole system but wasnt tall enough for mty truck.( let me know if you want it). Just bought a new truck with the reverse camera and still had problems although if did it a few more times and got more familiar with it it would solve the problem.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

ford-trucks.com has a back up wireless camera for under $100.

buckw13

Seaman

The harbor freight poles are a great idea. But I made my own. I took two 4 ft. pieces of pvc pipe and put caps on one end. Then i attached a magnet to the caps. Painted one black left on white. Set one on your hitch and the other on your trailer. Back up lining up the poles till they hit. Then you should be lined right up. The magnet pole on the trailer was harder to get to stand up because of the rounded hitch so i put a bigger washer under the magnet to balance it better. This works great

SNye45

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thankyou for all the responses. I have read them all and after some thought have decided to try the flags from Harbor.

With my first boat (16 ft) this was not an issue as the trailer tongue was light enough to be able to move it the last couple of inches forward or back by hand.

The wife is not always available when I have been backing with my present boat, it is too heavy and I am tired of doing the " get in the truck and move an inch- then get out again" as I ended up either going too far or not enough.

Hopefully the flags will work their magic and I can hook up with ease from now on :)