2000 durango knowhere to hook up trailer lights..... help!

johnboat-72

Cadet
2000 durango and a new hitch. but there is not a place to plug in the trailer lights at all!!! :confused::mad::confused:

Last edited:

johnboat-72

Cadet
Knowhere to hook up a wiring harness for 2000 dodge duango... help

Knowhere to hook up a wiring harness for 2000 dodge duango... help

:confused::confused::confused:Need some help with this wiring thing. I put a hitch on this weekend, but looking for a place to hook up the harrness, i found nothing.. Not a spot to hook into. any ideas would be very helpful... thank you all....

dchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Knowhere to hook up a wiring harness for 2000 dodge duango... help

Re: Knowhere to hook up a wiring harness for 2000 dodge duango... help

I had a Dakota. I got a plug from the local Uhaul that dropped in without modification. It plugged in near the streering under the dash. But thinking back, it was for electric brakes.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral
Re: 2000 durango knowhere to hook up trailer lights..... help!

Time to call the dealer or check with another Durango owner that trailers stuff. On some vehicles you have to buy a plug-n-ply harness, others have to be hardwired into the existing light harness. Good luck.

johnboat-72

Cadet

Thank you. I was afraid of that hard wiring think... But thanks again.:D

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

johnboat-72 all your post have been moved to one. triple posting is frowned upon.

you should be able to get a plug and play harness adapter.

artherm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2001 Ram pickup, and I just bought one of the Hoppy kits from aour Farm and Home Supply. This is an electrical T Connector. Underneath the rear of your Durango near your tail lights, there should be a connector going into one of the lights. This just snaps apart. Attach the T connector, and reattach. From the T connector your trailer light wiring attaches. This is a pretty quick deal to connect. I just live south of you in Quincy, Illinois. I bought mind at Farm and Home Supply in Keokuk. They are cheaper. O' Rielly also handles them. Good luck. Walmart also carrys them.

arboldt

Chief Petty Officer

Check around etrailer.com and a couple other sites -- maybe even iboats.com for trailer wiring harnesses. They seem to be custom-made for particular models/years, complete with installation instructions. Connections may be hidden behind other things, and those instructions can be quite valuable.

Your vehicle may be one of the simple ones that takes a generic T-connection, but surf around and find out. There may also be a group on-line for your particular vehicle model -- that's where I found step-by-step instructions and photos for my vehicle.

redfury

Commander

My Dakota is the same way. Super easy to do, and it costs about $30. You'll find the connectors right by the bumper mounts and plug them in. The factory harness plug is connected to the frame with a push through plastic "christmas tree". Just pry them out if you can't get the connector apart in place, it'll give you enough extra harness to work with, then you can just push it back through into the original hole and it'll stay. Worse case, you'll have to secure it with zip ties.

Really, it's about the easiest thing you can do...no need to cut into the harness and cause potential problems down the road by doing so.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Far as I know, any UHaul place will set ya up..

tjmcmillen

Recruit

2000 durango and a new hitch. but there is not a place to plug in the trailer lights at all!!! :confused::mad::confused:

Hate to break it to you, but the 2000 Durango is wired very differently than the Dakotas and Rams. Their tail light wiring harness is located under the bed down the frame. Your Durango (and mine) is wired through the rear side panel directly to the light assembly. Totally enclosed in the frame. You will need to splice in at the lighting assemblies. There is a rubber plug that you can feed the wires through for a clean, waterproof install, but if you get L, R, Stop, and Ground right you will be fine. I personally solder my connections and shrink wrap them, loose connections tend to heat up. I am not a big fan of those blue splice clips. Don't be afraid, though. The directions with the basic Hopkins kits are pretty good.