Repair submersible trailer lights ???

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just recently purchased a used boat and it has those rectangular Wesbar submersible trailer lights. Inside, it has a sealed unit shaped like a teardrop. One of them doesn't work properly and I have confirmed it is the trailer light and not wiring. I know the replacement units are available for about ten bucks and the lights are around 15-20 I think. Being the tightwad that I am, I'd like to at least try to repair the bulb housing. The unit appears to look brand new inside with the exception that I can see what looks to be minimal corrosion on the contacts of the 1157 bulb. The side marker glows but is very weak and the 1157 doesn't light at all with headlights. The brake and signals seem to work fine. All filaments appear fine. My thought is if I could just get in there and clean the contacts, it would work. Then try to reseal it with superglue, epoxy, and/or silicone.

To me it doesn't seem like repairing this is even possible but I thought I'd ask if there were any fellow tight-wads out there that have every tried successfully. I'd appreciate hearing how you did it and if it worked or not.

Thanks

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Repair submersible trailer lights ???

before you pull it apart,check your ground wires.

wire2

Lieutenant Commander

Corrosion is non-conductive, it will stop the circuit from working.
You have nothing to lose, force it open, clean the corrosion, slop some dielectric compound or clear grease in the socket and put it back together.

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

I cut one open once with a dremel tool, replaced a bad bulb, and sealed it with RTV.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bad ground, bad contacts = bad lights. Check grounding and clean contacts. Seal again is O.K. but if it has a small leak it is better to have a good drain out of the light unit and unplug when submersing.

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked the ground first. I then cut the wire crimps that connect the trailer wire and light and connected the wires direct to the light to test. I then hooked up the light direct to a battery. It was definately the light. I might try the dremel tool idea. What I'll probably do, is to take it apart, fix it, and then go buy one and keep the repaired as a back up because I won't trust my repair. Thanks for the info!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Hope everything works out for you.

reelfishin

Captain

I've split a few open to fix, but only in a pinch. I've been slowly converting all my trailers over to LED lighting. Most of them are well sealed and last what seems to be forever. I do make sure all grounds are clean and well sealed to prevent corrosion.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Im tighter than a crab's a--hole --and that's water tight. I use a fine thin blade hacksaw to cut the capsule off just above the weld and replace the bulb. Then I re-glue it with a high quality glue to re-seal it. Worked for a couple of years now and still going.

gnrboyd

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Update....I used the dremel tool suggestion and cut at the base. The problem I encountered is that the plastic heated up while cutting and re-welded itself as I went. I had to keep cutting sections I had already cut because of this. I eventually got it done. Cleaned the contacts and it now lights as it should. I'll glue it back up and should be good to go for a spare at least. Thanks everyone for the tips.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

I fixed my old ones just so I'd have a couple of emergency spares on hand. I cut mine open with a japanese saw because the kerf is so small and they are easier to control since the cut occurs on the pull rather than push. Once I had one side cut, I just pryed the rest of it apart with a flatblade screwdriver. They tend to break along the heat weld if you go slow. Sealed back up with non-acetic RTV.