1960 Sears Trailer

kbertsch

Cadet
I have a 1960 Sears Elgin Boat Trailer model #254-61500. I use it to carry a 1960 aluminum Starcraft fishing boat. The problem is it has the original rims which have only 1 lug nut. The rims have the bearings packed inside of them. Because of rust I need to replace them and nobody I have found carry that kind of rim anymore. Does anybody know if that is true and if so, is there anything I can do besides changing axles?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1960 Sears Trailer

you are best to change the axle. any trailer shop can help you. the main thing, is the distance between the locking pins on the axle that go into the springs. that old axle has given good service. but like you said is obsolete.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You will need a new axle, hubs, bearings and wheels. The axle can be removed, measured carefully for length, spring center and ordered custom made from a number of trailer parts suppliers. You could even by one ready made from a farm store and a welding shop can shorten it as required. Or, buy the spindles and spring perches, and visit a welding shop to have the them welded onto a steel tube of the desired length. If you shop for a new axle, one that is an inch longer or shorter than the original can likely still be used. You need to measure existing tire to frame clearance that you have now.

CATransplant

Admiral

Hold on there. If the spindles on the axle are not rusted or otherwise damaged, you probably don't have to replace the axle. Those hub-in-rim wheels aren't that uncommon. They're still available, but I hate 'em. I just replaced the ones on my old trailer with new hubs and regular wheels.

You'll have to measure the axle diameter. Most of those are 3/4", but some are 1". Regular hubs are available for both sizes and just go right on, since the spindles are regular size.

If they're 3/4", they're a little harder to find, but a search on the web at the trailer supply places will turn them up. If they're 1", a trip to the local Northern Tool or any other place that sells trailer junk will have them.

Of course, if the spindles are rusted or damaged, then it's new axle time.

CATransplant

Admiral

One other thing:

If you search for Trailer Parts Superstore on Google, then go to that site, type in "wheel" in the search box on the site and click "search."

Scroll down on the resulting page, and you'll find your wheels with built-in hubs listed there, complete with tire. They're about $63, which is cheaper than new hubs, wheels, and tires, if you want to go that way.

Those are for 3/4" axles, but I'm sure that's what's on your old Sears trailer. Measure first.

I don't like these very much, but if you keep your best old one as a spare, it's an option you can consider.

They also have the same thing for a 1" axle. You'll see it if you click on the 3/4" one on that page.

kbertsch

Cadet

Actually I was thinking the very same thing. I saw your message at work and thought I would try to do a google search and came up with the exact same website. I think at this point the best thing for me to do is just get these tires. I just use it local to take the boat to the river so I really didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. By the way, I do have a 3/4 inch axle. Maybe sometime down the road I can beef up the trailer with a new axle. My main reason for the post was to find out if they even make those rims anymore. I talked to my local Marina and tire shop and both of them said they did not! I knew I would get the straight scoop on this forum. You guys are great. Thanks for the help.

CATransplant

Admiral

That sounds like a good plan. But keep the best of the other two you have as a spare and carry it with you. Otherwise, you'll have a problem if you get a flat.

Best of luck to you, and don't be a stranger.

steve86

Recruit

One other thing:

If you search for Trailer Parts Superstore on Google, then go to that site, type in "wheel" in the search box on the site and click "search."e.

Thanks very much for the tip! I need a spare also ('65 Sears Trailer).

Yes, the new axle setup would be better, but around $300 including tires/wheels/hubs and time.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

One other thing:

If you search for Trailer Parts Superstore on Google, then go to that site, type in "wheel" in the search box on the site and click "search."e.
No. PM Bondo. I am sure he could find some for ya.:D

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander

They are called "itegral hub" wheels

novice mariner

Recruit

I have the same trailer and it appears to be missing some suspension parts. On each side of the trailer is a set of discs between which it appears something is missing. The discs are about 1.5 inches in diameter with one attached to a piece coming from the axle and the other on the frame/cradle. If a spring or something were between the two it would center the frame over the axle. Anybody know anything about this that could shed some light?

Thanks