Replacement Master Cylinder for Surge Brakes

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class
Any ideas on where to find a replacement master cylinder for a 1977 Ritemaid??? trailer. There is no mfg plate on the trailer, and the title only says "Rite" under mfg. Their is a number on the cylinder 29839.

Thanks in advance !

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacement Master Cylinder for Surge Brakes

Hi Kevin,...
There's really only a couple of choices for Hyd. Couplers,....
I doubt you'll find 1 Exactly like your's, But Maybe......

My trailer came with 1 than had a Latch to lock it down,... I didn't like it because it needed Constant upwards pressure while it was lifted off......
It was in Bad shape Hyd.ickly,+ I replaced it with 1 that has a Screw down latch......

The Only Issue I've ever had with this 1 is that if you don't Stop lowering the trailer when the coupler is just cleared the Ball,+ Lower All the weight down on to it,....
It tightens up against the Shoulder below the Ball,+ Not in the Throat below the Ball........
It Seems Latched,.... But It's Not,........ And, No,... Don't Ask......:%

As long as you match the Size of the Tounge Tubing,...... Any of them will work.....
Although I think there Is a Difference between Disc,+ Drum brakes.......

iboats might have them around here,......
And a lot of guys mention Champion Trailer as a Good Supplier.......

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Take the master cylinder off the trailer. Head to the nearest NAPA or other larger auto parts store that has someone older than 18 behind the counter that can actually read a parts book. No manufacturer in their right mind designs a unique master cylinder when they are commonly available off the shelf. Armed with the trailer manufacturer and rough date of manufacture, they should be able to find an exact replacement. You might even consider rebuilding the one you have. Standard cups, pistons and springs are also available. You would need to buy/rent a wheel cylinder hone to clean up the bore. However, if its deeply pitted, forget and just replace it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Take a picture of the coupler and post it here. Someone might be able to recoginize the make of the coupler which will help in finding the master cylinder.

I have yet to see a mastery cylinder from a trailer which is rebuildable.

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you need a master cylinder just replace the whole assembly.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sorrento said:
If you need a master cylinder just replace the whole assembly.

Why would you do that?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Because it can be done very reasonably! If you can save a few bucks why not. Obviously if the tools or expertise are not available, or the cylinder bore is too far gone, buy new. Chances are when you are speaking with the counter person you will be asked "would you like a rebuilt or new".

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I was assuming Sorrento was referring to the "whole assembly" as the whole coupler assembly and not just the master cylinder.

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was looking to replace a master cylinder because I couldn't get the cap off mine for anything. Likely I couldn't get the line off either. The rest of it was rusting pretty good too. Then I started looking at the prices of a new coupler and seemed like a better deal in light of the work involved in swapping the master. Who knows how well the mechanism within the coupler was working etc. etc. Just thought it was worth considering for the $175 or so that they cost. Mine is about a '77 too.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can pick up master cylinders for less than $80 depending on the coupler.

Just a few bolts and they slide out the back, usually.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

bruceb58 said:
You can pick up master cylinders for less than $80 depending on the coupler.

Just a few bolts and they slide out the back, usually.

You can pick up a brand new coupler for $109 and be done with it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can buy the cylinder kit for less than $20. The "buy everything new" crowd seems to forget that some folks simply like to fix what they have and use the extra cash for other stuff? Sort of like thowing the baby out with the bath water. Even the cylinder itself, rebult (about $35.00 + core) or new ($60.00) represents a significant savings. A rebuild is not rocket science. There are 5 or 6 parts involved. By the way kfraser, that master cylinder number appears to be an Atwood part number. Any NAPA store should be able to provide the kit or the cylinder. If you want to rebuild it, remove the boot, pull the retaining ring, remove the guts noting the orientation of parts, and see what the bore looks like. If deeply scored or full of pits, reassemble it and replace the cylinder. If the resevoir has scale in it, that can be cleaned up and flushed. Rebuilds are not done in service facilities because the labor quickly eats up any savings. For the do it yourselfer, most repairs/rebuilds can save substantial amounts. Do as you wish.

Sorrento 25

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm usually in the fix-what-you-got crowd and not the "buy everything new" crowd, but based on the condition of my 30 year old coupler and the experience I have had in 20+ years of auto restoration that included plenty of hydraulic cylinder rebuilds replacement seemed a better option for me. It also depends on what you have available for tools and what your time is worth.

How securely does that coupler hold your ball after 30 years?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You can pick up a brand new coupler for $109 and be done with it.

That's if you happen to have the smallest coupler available. Will be $250 and higher for larger sizes.

I have been down the rebuild route too many times with mastery cylinders...penny wise...pound foolish! So little extra money involved for a safety critical item that they aren't worth rebuilding. Especially with a boat trailer where you can't "step on the pedal" in the morning to see if they are working.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,..... I Build,+ Rebuild Everything I Own,......

And,...
Even though I misread Kevin's post,+ went on rambling about replacement Couplers,.......

That's because the 1s I've torn down, just Weren't Worth My Effort,......
Rusted Solid,... New This,+ a Rebuild Kit there,......Where's My Brake Hone,... Yep, needs New Stones...Whatdaya Mean that Clip doesn't come with the Kit.....

Nope,....... No Thanks.......

Bondo

Staff member

You guys are basing your $250.00 price tag on a 4 Ton coupler........For a 2,5/16ths" Ball......

The 1 Kevin needs is $99.95...

And,....
You're in the Disc Brake listing,......

I'd Assume that a 1977 Ritemade would be Drum Brakes,+ I Know that Kevin's boat Doesn't weigh 4 Tons.........

Like I said,.......
For a Hundred Bucks,............
It's Not worth My Time to Try to Grind Out the Pitting,+ Rust from a Master Cylinder,......
Which would Probably Leak pass the Piston Anyways,.... From the Pitting.........

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

i don't believe Kevin stated which one he needed.

If he has a lighter trailer, the new coupler is couldthe way to go. If he has a heavier rated coupler, it would be more cost effective to replace the master cylinder.

Depending on if his coupler is bolted to the frame or welded will also determine what would be easier for him to do.

kfraser

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi guy's sorry for the delay in responding. Alot on the plate with the upcoming holidays,...

As always Bondo is correct. My trailer does have drum brakes and the boat/trailer comes in around 4500lbs. I did some looking and for around $125 bucks I can replace the whole tongue assembly with a 6000lb rated.

It looks like I'll have to replace the lines from the master cylinder back to the brakes.

Here's a preview of my next post..."Bleeding Surge Brakes???" The boat and I are headed to AZ in three weeks, so I'm getting started next week on the trailer. Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.