Trailer VIN Number

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello,

I have a 1993 Four Winns 18 foot boat with original trailer. I bought the boat and the owner was in a state that did not require trailer registration. I now live in a state that does...I have looked everywhere for the vin number on this thing and no dice...I've called Four Winns to see if the could cross reference the Hull ID, but havent heard back yet. Any ideas on were this VIN would be??? I've looked with the boat both on and off the trailer. Thanks...

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Trailer VIN Number

Depends on the state but normally a bill of sale will work. But if the trailer has never been registered, your state may require a Manufacturers Statement of Origin which is the document that outlines who built the trailer, where it was made, VIN number etc. Check the front frame of the trailer very carefully. The vin no. may be stamped into the frame but usually there is a sticker somewhere on the tongue or "V" area.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In a similar situation a person I know invented a VIN and stamped it into the tongue, then got the bill of sale to show that number. Got it registered. Texas does not title trailers, but does title boats and outboard engines.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses guys...

My problem is solved. Four Winns emailed me the original vin # from the trailer. I was impressed that they were able to do that in a relatively quick manner. I'll stamp the numbers into the frame...I dont know what new boat oweners experience in terms of customer service, but FW has always been very quick to help out.