Fulton XLT 10.0 Inquiry

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
For me, along with the instructional booklet, that came with the winch, showing how to use the winch is very helpful. And, on top of that, the video doesn't show that the "On" button, on the remote, has to be kept pushed down for a few seconds in order for the remote to work. I've already done the "match-up" between the winch and the remote, but still have to keep the button pressed down for a few seconds to turn on the remote/winch.

We have both a wrap-around lock and a cover for the winch. Also have a wrap-around lock for the battery that is mounted on the trailer. Have a cover for our spare tire on the trailer, but no covers for the 4 tires on the trailer (dual-axle trailer). The boat/trailer sits outside at a local boat/rv storage. During summer months, we have a fairly new cockpit cover and during the winter months, we use the cockpit cover and a full cover, strapped to the trailer, for storage. If we get any high amount of snow, we will go over to storage and take the snow off of the boat full cover. And, during winter months, we take the winch battery off of the trailer and take home, as well as our dual-batteries in the boat.

After I launch I remove the winch and battery from the trailer and put them in the trunk of the car. Unattended stuff like that walks in a hurry. In past years I even saw whole trailers disappear. I love the Powerwinch products because they offer a quick detachable option. The winch is on or off in no more than 15 seconds.

As an aside, the coupler on the trailer (AND the drawbar on the car) need to have padlocks as well.

I live in an upscale neighborhood and have almost zero problems, but it only takes once. Imagine coming back to the ramp and your winch is gone.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We have bought the Star Brite EZ Boat Hook, but can't go on our boat hook we have. The hook we have won't come off! So, where do I get an extending pole that this EZ Boat Hook could snap onto???

Re-read one of my original posts. The telescopic Star Brite pole is an option. The ezhook is one of many parts that they offer.

LuvBoating

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re-read one of my original posts. The telescopic Star Brite pole is an option. The ezhook is one of many parts that they offer.

We did order, on Amazon, the Star Brite pole that the ez hook will fit on. However, we should've waited to buy the pole to see if our winch strap hook/snap will fit into the ez hook holder. If ours don't, both the ez hook and pole will be sent back.

LuvBoating

After I launch I remove the winch and battery from the trailer and put them in the trunk of the car. Unattended stuff like that walks in a hurry. In past years I even saw whole trailers disappear. I love the Powerwinch products because they offer a quick detachable option. The winch is on or off in no more than 15 seconds.

As an aside, the coupler on the trailer (AND the drawbar on the car) need to have padlocks as well.

I live in an upscale neighborhood and have almost zero problems, but it only takes once. Imagine coming back to the ramp and your winch is gone.

We have two OnGuard Heavy-Duty Bicycle locks. One that goes around our electric winch and locks. Another that goes around our marine battery, sitting in a mounted battery tray, on our trailer and locks. BTW, our electric winch was installed by a trailer company. It doesn't just come off of the trailer with ease. We also have two locks on our coupler and even a lock on our hitch. We are pretty secured, compared to some boats we've seen at our boat/rv storage that have nothing.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We did order, on Amazon, the Star Brite pole that the ez hook will fit on. However, we should've waited to buy the pole to see if our winch strap hook/snap will fit into the ez hook holder. If ours don't, both the ez hook and pole will be sent back.

Our family boat is way too wide to be able to reach the bow eye. Our other boats are no problem. As it turned out, that winch had a hook that would not fit the ez hook.

No problem, I located an even heavier duty winch strap that had the right size hook, so I replaced the strap. A crescent wrench and 5 minutes and we were back on the water again.

Boating has to be easy peasy. Retirement means not having drama. Every problem is solvable.

Just as an additional heads up.....the ez hook will fall apart if you aren't real adept at using it. A drill and two small 1/16" bolts will ensure it will keep you happy for years to come.

LuvBoating

Our family boat is way too wide to be able to reach the bow eye. Our other boats are no problem. As it turned out, that winch had a hook that would not fit the ez hook.

No problem, I located an even heavier duty winch strap that had the right size hook, so I replaced the strap. A crescent wrench and 5 minutes and we were back on the water again.

Boating has to be easy peasy. Retirement means not having drama. Every problem is solvable.

Just as an additional heads up.....the ez hook will fall apart if you aren't real adept at using it. A drill and two small 1/16" bolts will ensure it will keep you happy for years to come.

Please explain the "heads up" statement. Thanks.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The hook clippy part is detachable. Note the ribbed button. I guess it can be replaced if it wears out.

Anywhoot, if your strap hook is on the large side and you are a bit rambunctious in popping it out, the hooky part will fall off. Fortunately, it floats and is easily retrievable.

The 2 SS bolts in the pic are a very very simple customer mod to make it work 100%.

I's still an awesome tool. Glad I leaned about it on IBoats.

P8170009web.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
We have two OnGuard Heavy-Duty Bicycle locks. One that goes around our electric winch and locks. Another that goes around our marine battery, sitting in a mounted battery tray, on our trailer and locks. BTW, our electric winch was installed by a trailer company. It doesn't just come off of the trailer with ease. We also have two locks on our coupler and even a lock on our hitch. We are pretty secured, compared to some boats we've seen at our boat/rv storage that have nothing.

Best of luck to you on your security. As long as your storage lot is gated and has 24 hr. security you should be fine. I don't worry when the boat is home. My concern is at the launch ramp.

LuvBoating

The hook clippy part is detachable. Note the ribbed button. I guess it can be replaced if it wears out.

Anywhoot, if your strap hook is on the large side and you are a bit rambunctious in popping it out, the hooky part will fall off. Fortunately, it floats and is easily retrievable.

The 2 SS bolts in the pic are a very very simple customer mod to make it work 100%.

I's still an awesome tool. Glad I leaned about it on IBoats.

Great idea! Will keep in mind. That is, IF our winch strap snap hook even fits into this ez hooker. If not, well........... IOW, don't want to replace winch strap.

LuvBoating

Best of luck to you on your security. As long as your storage lot is gated and has 24 hr. security you should be fine. I don't worry when the boat is home. My concern is at the launch ramp.

Do have a "code" entry gate and a person that lives upstairs over the office. At the ramp parking lot, it would take someone quite a bit of time to cut the locks we have on the winch and battery. There's just too many people walking around the parking area!

LuvBoating

Well, got the ez hook from amazon, but our current winch strap hook/strap doesn't fit into it. The winch hook is too big. Well, I should say is that the one part of the winch hook fits in, but the bottom definitely doesn't. We also got the pole that the ez hook fits into. We will try the ez hook out, with our winch hook in it, the next time we retrieve our boat, but if it doesn't work............not sure what to do.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well, got the ez hook from amazon, but our current winch strap hook/strap doesn't fit into it. The winch hook is too big. Well, I should say is that the one part of the winch hook fits in, but the bottom definitely doesn't. We also got the pole that the ez hook fits into. We will try the ez hook out, with our winch hook in it, the next time we retrieve our boat, but if it doesn't work............not sure what to do. [/QUOTE

Winches are often supplied with straps that are marginal for the application. Mine sure was. And to add insult to injury the hook didn't fit the EZhook.

Ole' Ebay to the rescue.

I found a much heavier duty strap with a hook that fit. Ten minutes to replace the strap...easy peasy.

Now I have a much secure setup. The EZhook is too good of a product to not use it. In my youth I used to walk in the water to hook things up. But now in old age Its just too much of a hassle to get my feet wet, and replacing the strap was no hassle at all.

LuvBoating

Well, got the ez hook from amazon, but our current winch strap hook/strap doesn't fit into it. The winch hook is too big. Well, I should say is that the one part of the winch hook fits in, but the bottom definitely doesn't. We also got the pole that the ez hook fits into. We will try the ez hook out, with our winch hook in it, the next time we retrieve our boat, but if it doesn't work............not sure what to do. [/QUOTE

Winches are often supplied with straps that are marginal for the application. Mine sure was. And to add insult to injury the hook didn't fit the EZhook.

Ole' Ebay to the rescue.

I found a much heavier duty strap with a hook that fit. Ten minutes to replace the strap...easy peasy.

Now I have a much secure setup. The EZhook is too good of a product to not use it. In my youth I used to walk in the water to hook things up. But now in old age Its just too much of a hassle to get my feet wet, and replacing the strap was no hassle at all.

First, how did you know the hook, from EBay, would fit the EZ Hook?

Second, how easy was it to replace the winch strap? The winch is an electrical one, right? I'm much more of a "computer geek" than a marine mechanic.

I told my wife that I could possibly cut (in half) the half-round bottom piece of the EZ Hook that fits into the eye of the winch strap hook/snap, so the winch strap hook/snap would fit it. The winch strap hook/snap wouldn't be as stable (inside the EZ Hook), as it would be if the entire half-round piece would fit into the eye of the winch strap hook/snap, but. We will try to use it the way it is and see how it goes.

I also don't know if I'll be able to use this EZ Hook without being in the water. Have to see the next time we retrieve our boat from the water.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
First, how did you know the hook, from EBay, would fit the EZ Hook?

Second, how easy was it to replace the winch strap? The winch is an electrical one, right? I'm much more of a "computer geek" than a marine mechanic.

I told my wife that I could possibly cut (in half) the half-round bottom piece of the EZ Hook that fits into the eye of the winch strap hook/snap, so the winch strap hook/snap would fit it. The winch strap hook/snap wouldn't be as stable (inside the EZ Hook), as it would be if the entire half-round piece would fit into the eye of the winch strap hook/snap, but. We will try to use it the way it is and see how it goes.

I also don't know if I'll be able to use this EZ Hook without being in the water. Have to see the next time we retrieve our boat from the water.

I took a chance and it worked out. I always keep a spare HD strap anyway and replace them just because every 3 or 4 years. Ever see a strap break when the boat was half way up....LOL. I have...not pretty.

The bitter end of the strap is secured with a bolt. The side of the winch is removed to access it. I never had one of your type so I have no idea how to replace it. If your owner's manual doesn't give maintenance instructions I'm sure there is a u-tube video somewhere.

I'm not a marine mechanic either. But easy stuff like winches and wheel bearings and such should be in every boater's repertoire - You have to do lots of stuff if you need it today and everyone is booked up.

Don't cut the ezhook. If you do it won't work at all. Keep it for next year. If you are powering out and then rewinding a wet strap and then storing the rig outside in the hot sun you should replace the strap annually.

If you retrieve next to a dock the ezhook will work. No need to get your feet wet. The pole is 6 feet long!! Just park the trailer close to the dock. If you don't have a dock then you need to walk in the water anyway so you don't need the hook.

LuvBoating

I took a chance and it worked out. I always keep a spare HD strap anyway and replace them just because every 3 or 4 years. Ever see a strap break when the boat was half way up....LOL. I have...not pretty.

The bitter end of the strap is secured with a bolt. The side of the winch is removed to access it. I never had one of your type so I have no idea how to replace it. If your owner's manual doesn't give maintenance instructions I'm sure there is a u-tube video somewhere.

I'm not a marine mechanic either. But easy stuff like winches and wheel bearings and such should be in every boater's repertoire - You have to do lots of stuff if you need it today and everyone is booked up.

Don't cut the ezhook. If you do it won't work at all. Keep it for next year. If you are powering out and then rewinding a wet strap and then storing the rig outside in the hot sun you should replace the strap annually.

If you retrieve next to a dock the ezhook will work. No need to get your feet wet. The pole is 6 feet long!! Just park the trailer close to the dock. If you don't have a dock then you need to walk in the water anyway so you don't need the hook.

Actually, we were watching folks launch/retrieve their boats at a lake, when we lived here in Colorado before. One boater was backing his boat/trailer down the ramp, something happened to the manual winch and the boat slid part way off of the trailer. The prop, drive and part of the stern was on the ramp. The boater was finally able to get the boat back up on the trailer, but he had three guys helping him. I'm sure his prop, drive and stern needed some repair after that.

I do some boat things, like: checking/adding oil and taking out both (dual) batteries for the winter and keeping them charged. I also take out the block plugs and drain block before taking to be winterized, in case we get snow before the marine service can get to our boat. Heck, last year, I even ordered and replaced a tail/brake light on our trailer. I also have a small grease gun to grease the bearings (Buddy Bearings) on our trailer.

As far as where you put the two small screws on the EZ Hook, how easy will that "holding" part slide off of the EZ Hook? To me, it's on there pretty tight. I had a hard time sliding it off when I wanted to look at it.

As far as cutting part of the EZ Hook, the part we are talking about is the part that fits into the circle part of the winch hook. That is the part that the winch strap is attached to. That part of the EZ Hook will not fit into hook due to a spot of weld. Our winch hook is two parts: the hook is welding onto the strap holder. It's not all one item.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Actually, we were watching folks launch/retrieve their boats at a lake, when we lived here in Colorado before. One boater was backing his boat/trailer down the ramp, something happened to the manual winch and the boat slid part way off of the trailer. The prop, drive and part of the stern was on the ramp. The boater was finally able to get the boat back up on the trailer, but he had three guys helping him. I'm sure his prop, drive and stern needed some repair after that.

I do some boat things, like: checking/adding oil and taking out both (dual) batteries for the winter and keeping them charged. I also take out the block plugs and drain block before taking to be winterized, in case we get snow before the marine service can get to our boat. Heck, last year, I even ordered and replaced a tail/brake light on our trailer. I also have a small grease gun to grease the bearings (Buddy Bearings) on our trailer.

As far as where you put the two small screws on the EZ Hook, how easy will that "holding" part slide off of the EZ Hook? To me, it's on there pretty tight. I had a hard time sliding it off when I wanted to look at it.

As far as cutting part of the EZ Hook, the part we are talking about is the part that fits into the circle part of the winch hook. That is the part that the winch strap is attached to. That part of the EZ Hook will not fit into hook due to a spot of weld. Our winch hook is two parts: the hook is welding onto the strap holder. It's not all one item.
The guy in CO obviously didn't read the Trailer Boater's Book. The winch is always kept tight and the safety strap is never unhooked until the trailer is in the water and you are ready to launch (violation of rule #3.)

Walking with the hook in the ezhook exerts a lot more pressure than just pushing on it with your hand. Nevertheless, try it before you do anything. If it falls off in the water now you'll know what to do to fix it.

You surely could modify the ezhook by cutting it to fit your strap. But just remember that next year when you replace the aged strap the new one might not fit the modified exhook and then you'll need to buy a new exhook as well.

LuvBoating

Used the Star Brite EZ Hook and adjustable holder yesterday. It worked fine, but, due to our trailer being 27' long and the boat being only 20' long, still had to get into the water to get on the front of the trailer. When we retrieved the boat, with my wife holding two lines (bow/stern) on the dock, I was able to connect the winch hook to the EZ Hook and extend it, but had to keep running more and more winch strap out in order to connect the winch hook to the bow eye. She would pull the boat closer to me and I was finally able to insert the hook, twist the EZ Hook to the right to release from winch hook.

Hit the remote "in" button and the boat came right up to me. I just hooked up the Safety Chain, shut off the electric winch and went up the ramp to a parking spot.

So, will keep both the EZ Hook and extender pole.

emoney

Commander
While you're on the subject, might not be a bad idea to start looking for a trailer that fits your boat better. Sounds like it'll hep with the winch problems.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Here's my little trick....

I installed a SS eye bolt right on top of the fender. When the boat and trailer are on dry land in the parking lot, I pull out the winch cable and attach the hook to the bolt. The cable has red paint on it so I know exactly how much to pull out.

When I back in the water next to the dock, I am careful to have the fender close enough to the dock to be able to reach the hook. Unhook it, put it on the ezhook and away we go.

If boating is a hassle, I won't go. Getting my feet wet is a hassle. All my boats are set up this way. Half have power winches, the other manual cranks because they are light and easy to handle. Then only boat that requires me to go swimming is our jetski, but its only 10 feet long so I have to back in further, and I have water shoes on anyway.

LuvBoating

It doesn't really bother me to get my feet wet. I always wear a pair of tennis shoes, with over-the-calf socks on. I really don't notice how wet my feet/tennis shoes/socks are until we get home. They are soaking wet, but are wet. The tennis shoes go outside into the sun and the socks go into the laundry room. By the next morning, all is dry!

But, am going to try and NOT back the trailer in so far and see how that works. Into the water or not, I still have to step up onto the trailer to unhook the winch strap from the bow eye. And then, if my wife is unable to pull/float the boat off of the trailer, I will have to back it in further.

One thing for sure, we are no longer as young as we were back in 2003, when we bought our first boat. It was smaller and lighter. A 4-cyclinder compared to an 8-cyclinder now.

We were pretty bushed yesterday when we got home! One more summer and our boating days will come to an end.