Longer spring ?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
D127F3B3-DD7D-4FE3-BA52-E0A3EF5E5FAC.jpeg Trying to help out my SIL ..
In the pic you see the leaf spring spacer/mount angled toward the front of the trailer . The problem is that with the spacer turned down it will flip up where it looks like the other pic . Then the tire rubs on the fender . If we get a slightly longer spring would it hurt to have it at an angle towards the back of the trailer like the wrench is angled . My thought it that would keep the spacer from flipping back up . Would I totally be screwing up doing this ?

Attachments

• 2C710C94-087A-45C0-A4F1-E20D57406A2A.jpeg
    2C710C94-087A-45C0-A4F1-E20D57406A2A.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
We would be going from a 24” length to a 25-1/4” length .

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sam, looks like a tandem axle trailer setup. What is the length of the other spring? It would seem that both of them should be the same. And if they are, maybe swap the two and see what happens. A longer spring could change how the other axle works...IDK

Dewaynep

Cadet
The way it is in picture 2 with the shackle above the equalizer is the way it should be and needs to be. If the equalizer isn't level then the trailer is not load balanced properly. If the equalizer is level (or close to level) with the trailer loaded and attached to the tow vehicle (the trailer should be close to level when attached to the tow ball) then either the spring is weak or you simply need to move the fender higher so it doesn't hit the tire. Changing to a longer leaf spring may keep the shackle below the equalizer but then the shackle won't do it's job of swinging when the spring length changes from hitting bumps.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Sphelps, In atlantic Beach there is a gentlemen that has been building and repairing trailers for years. His shop is WIlson Trailer and he is on 8th and Mayport Rd. Not to far from Specialty Marine. Stop in and talk with him, he can give you the info you need and advice. Then go to Specialty Marine Find Mikey and get some coffee and politicking in while you wait. Both good people there.

George

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Thanks guys .. George we are working about 15 mins from that area .. I'll see if my sil wants to swing by there before work an get some suggestions .
This is a home made rig . It is set up with a truckbed camper up on the front of the trailer with a fenced in area in the back for my daughters dogs and to load his side by side or his 4 wheeler on .. Moving the fenders up would be a real pita at this point .. He said when they first set it up the bracket were actually turned up like it should be .. They set the fenders up with 2 inches of clearance to the tires .. It has worked fine until the last time he used it and it started to scrub he said ..
I,m thinking they should have loaded the trailer then set the height of the fenders ...