Am I crazy for considering this - tandem trailer with rear wheels removed.

I'm in a bit of a pickle with my boat trailer and could use input from those more experienced than myself.

First off, my boat is currently on a lift at my dock but it MUST be on the trailer in a few weeks time because the lake level will be coming down.

It's a Skeeter 21 Bay Pro, 21 ft. Center Console Bay Boat. Weight of the boat, engine, etc. is somewhere in the ballpark of 2500 pounds.

The trailer is tandem axle, I believe that the axles are rated at 3500 pounds each.

I just discovered that one of the rear wheels is locked up. I've been trying to find new axles for it anyway because the existing ones are rusted badly (but thankfully the trailer frame is in very good condition). So far I haven't been able to find the size axles I need, everyone I've called is out of stock and they can't tell me when they expect more in.

Am I crazy for even thinking about pulling the rear wheels off and trailering my boat with only the front tires on the trailer? Note that it only needs to go about 1/4 mile, I live within sight of our community boat ramp. If I could just get the boat on the trailer and into my driveway I'll be able to replace the axles at my leisure.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Why is the wheel locked?

Why not remove the brake or replace the offending bearing to get it home?

Why is the wheel locked?

Why not remove the brake or replace the offending bearing to get it home?

Certainly that's plan B (Plan A was to simply cut everything out and replace it). I'm just thinking ahead in case I can't get the offending wheel freed up.

I'm not sure as to the 'why' yet. It's locked up rock-solid so my gut is saying brakes locked / rusted.

ahicks

Captain
It sounds like custom made axles from Dexter Axle might be your best plan. They are NOT as expensive an option as you might think. You can deal directly with Dexter support, but they will not sell direct. You have to work with a local dealer. Not that big a deal as you'll be the one supplying the dimensions as directed by Dexter support. All you need the dealer for is a drop ship address....

Well, disaster averted as I was finally able to wrestle the offending brake drum off.

It sounds like custom made axles from Dexter Axle might be your best plan. They are NOT as expensive an option as you might think. You can deal directly with Dexter support, but they will not sell direct. You have to work with a local dealer. Not that big a deal as you'll be the one supplying the dimensions as directed by Dexter support. All you need the dealer for is a drop ship address....

In fact the axles I'd had on order were Dexter. Are you saying that I can order through Dexter and have everything shipped to a dealer of my choosing? That would certainly be better than trying to work with someone who won't tell me my parts are back ordered until I call to ask where they're at.

ahicks

Captain
I don't think much of most dealers nowadays either. Been a while since I've done an axle, but yes, that's exactly how it goes.