New axle install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redrig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hello all ,

I lost a wheel bearing and dang near a tire in June on my dual axle boat trailer. The incident chewed up the spindle enough that I just bought and installed a new axle .

Quick question - I have the axle installed and all looks good , the spring perches on my old axle were not welded , but the new axle say to weld the perches in place.

My buddy is a professional welder and I am having him do it , but I can't find any info about the process . He hasn't looked at it yet , I just want to give home some general info ahead of time.
He's not an auto type welder but industrial stainless and he's never done one before .

Are a couple of love taps enough to hold everything in place ? Or should he lay a nice fat bead all along the perch / axle contact ? That's mainly my question.

This new territory for us . Thanks in advance

​​

Last edited:

NHGuy

Captain
I would think before welding. If you are welding to galvanized steel your welder should have an air source. Burned galvy is supposedly poisonous.
Perhaps the axle company is being cautious of litigation.
I haven't seen them welded myself.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I’ve welded spring perches to generic axles a couple of times. Keeps the lateral load in check.

Dont need a full weld. 1/8” x 3/8” on each leg, both sides of the tube. Be sure to wire brush and paint with a rust inhibiting paint.

Redrig

Dont need a full weld. 1/8” x 3/8” on each leg, both sides of the tube. Be sure to wire brush and paint with a rust inhibiting paint.

Perfect . Exactly what I was after . I will pass that info along .

Thanks for the replies .

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Is this a round or square axle? When I had a new axle (square) made by Champion Trailers back in 2004, they wanted the spring center dimension and hub face dimension off the old axle; they welded 2 located pads with a hole in them that a pin fits into to locate the axle

Redrig

Is this a round or square axle? When I had a new axle (square) made by Champion Trailers back in 2004, they wanted the spring center dimension and hub face dimension off the old axle; they welded 2 located pads with a hole in them that a pin fits into to locate the axle

Round like the one I was replacing . I didnt have the full dimensions for the spring distance when I ordered the axle otherwise the axle company could have welded it for me.

I would assume that welding the perches to the tube ensures that the upward bend of the tube stays "up" if not welded in place I could see that potentially moving around (even though my previous one wasnt welded , the upward bend was still upright. )

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't weld. tighten the spring U bolts is sufficient. Most are aluminum, hard to weld aluminum to steel, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.