Trailer brakes vs boat and trailer weight question

kirkll

Cadet
I’m new to having a real boat with some weight to it. I just purchased a 19’ Blue Water with a 4.3 mercruiser I/O that weighs in the neighborhood of 2500-2800 pounds plus the tandem axle trailer. The wiring is funky and needs to be redone, and trailer lights not working at all. I don’t even know whether the axles are set up with brakes yet.

my question is this: At what weight should a boat and trailer be using trailer brakes? I have a big 3/4 Ton Ford pick up that handles towing it just fine without brakes, but I plan on running this thing back and forth to the coast a hundred miles away a lot this fall when the salmon run starts and don’t really want to wear out the brakes on my truck.

I've been really busy pulling badly needed maintenance on the boat, and getting her cleaned up lately. But it’s time to start giving some attention to this trailer now. I’m quite certain the winch on it is all original and this, along with the bow roller set up needs some work to make it more user friendly. I’m thinking a bow stop vs these rocking rollers would make things much easier to get it in the right position. Right now it’s a nightmare to get it just in the right position.

here’s a few pictures. https://photos.app.goo.gl/1JJcGyuRwg7p78TP8

Bondo

Staff member
At what weight should a boat and trailer be using trailer brakes?

Ayuh,...... The law in most states is 3,000 lbs,......

I've got an F250, 'n rarely worry 'bout trailer brakes,.....

tpenfield

Staff member
tandem trailers often have brakes on at least one axle. No pictures of the coupler, so we can't tell.

Check your local regs., but brakes would be good for you.

ahicks

Captain
Despite the legal questions, I believe there's variables as well. Size of tow vehicle (a pretty big factor) has already been mentioned. Frequency of use, distance pulled, amount of traffic you'll likely encounter, and experience of driver would also be factors.

kenny nunez

Captain
I have added disc brakes to 2 trailers tandem and single axle. They work great will out last drum brakes.