Where’s the grease going

Pruno

Seaman
I’ve pumped A LOT of grease into the hub. It’s a single axle trailer with a “reliable sure lube” sticker on the frame. When pumping grease in I’m not seeing any squeeze out anywhere, no grease splatter on the inside of the wheel either. I would say I’m close to half a tube of grease for each side. Am I just filling the axle up with grease, or do these hubs really take that much?

ahicks

Captain
First time around, they just take that much. The hub needs to be filled, which takes quite a bit of grease. Once filled, just a couple squirts is all it takes - until you pull it all down for inspection/repacking anyway. Then you start over again...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Am I just filling the axle up with grease

Not the axle, but the hub. The grease will ooze out of the hub and you stop when clean fresh grease comes out.

Is the Zerk fitting in the end of the axle or on the back side of the hub? Two types are made.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have the zerk on the shaft.

It takes roughly a 1/2 a tube per wheel to fill or flush each hub.

Rotate the wheel as you pump grease into the zerk. Otherwise you risk the chance of Damaging or blowing out the rear seals.

Keep an eye on rubber plugs on the bearing caps. Get two seasons out of them at best before they dry rot and leak.

Installing the bearing caps can be problematic as well. Pretty easy to bend and damage during installation. A 2” PVC coupling simplifies the task.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Some trailers do allow grease into the axle. These have spindles with holes thru them and are welded into the hollow axles.

You need to check it out.

Also check to see if the axles have drain holes. Those are usually a good idea as water trapped in the axle rots them out.

Pruno

Seaman
Thanks for the replies.
First time around, they just take that much
These hubs aren't new, but new to me. The tires are new last year by PO. I would have thought the hub would have been filled somewhat, but you know what they say about assuming...

Is the Zerk fitting in the end of the axle or on the back side of the hub
?
it's in the end of the axle.

Keep an eye on rubber plugs on the bearing caps
I dont see any rubber plugs. Theres a plastic cover over the hubs, behind those?

Matt

ahicks

Captain
plugs=whatever you take off to see the zerk fitting. Agree, they do not last long. I buy them 6 at a time on Amazon...

Pruno

Seaman
Chris - I'll check both today. Is it safe to assume that if there is no weep hole in the axle to drill one somewhere in the center? On the same subject last time out of the water I didn't notice water draining from the the low points on the cross members. Been meaning to crawl under and look.

ahicks - ah! These zerks are getting fresh air . When I worked construction we never put those on, I think we just left some grease over the zerk and wiped it off to grease. I might be able to score some from work today.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Not sure if you want to drill a drain hole. My last axle lasted nearly 20 years without a drain hole. However, I did not use it but 3X a year.

Of course, my axle broke on the way home from the ramp.....

Pruno

Seaman
Also check to see if the axles have drain holes. Those are usually a good idea as water trapped in the axle rots them out.
Not sure if you want to drill a drain hole. My last axle lasted nearly 20 years without a drain hole. However, I did not use it but 3X a year.
Not sure which way you’re recommending. This trailer is 31 years old. Up until this year I don’t think it got used much, but now we’re trailering every time we go to the water.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Not sure which way I am recommending also. I never looked into the design and intent of the design of the axle.

However, on any 31 year old trailer, I would look it over closely. A axle drain hole is probably a good idea....although it may be too little too late at this point.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Not sure which way you’re recommending. This trailer is 31 years old.
Really doesn’t matter one way or another on a painted axle. Drill a hole and smear some paint over and in the hole if it make you feel better.

If the axle is hot dipped, drilling a hole will compromise the integrity of the sacrificial coating and start the process of rotting from the inside out.

My trailer is 23 years old. The rear axle has already been replaced.

The rear cross member is rusting at the drain hole in the bottom. Still pretty solid but the cancer has taken hold.

The big issue is the frame rails. Starting to see some discoloration in the frame rails between the front axle and the actuator.

I see either a lift or a shiny, new aluminum trailer in my future.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
ahicks - ah! These zerks are getting fresh air . When I worked construction we never put those on, I think we just left some grease over the zerk and wiped it off to grease. I might be able to score some from work today.

You need the cap. Not for the Zerk, but a grease cap on the hub or the grease will fly out or water will get inside the hub - Both will destroy the bearings.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pull your drums and see if any of the grease is coating your brakes. I never use this "feature". I always hand pack.

Pruno

Seaman
Tried to take a picture to show the set up, but the file is too large. I'll try again tomorrow...
Theres a metal cap on the hub and a plastic trim piece over the top. It appears the metal part would keep all water out and grease in. I cant imagine that plastic part would keep water out or grease in. Wondering if I'm still missing a piece, or if we're all on the same page but losing something in translation over the interwebs, or me using the wrong terminology. But since I'm lugging the boat behind me everytime we head to the water I do want to get it right.

No brakes on this trailer. :grumpy:

Matt

Pruno

Seaman
Yeah, it’s the first one. With straight axles too. I was half joking when I asked if I was just filling the axles with grease, I guess that I am. That being the case I think I won’t drill any weep holes in the axle.
GA_Boater Thanks for the manual!