Upsizing trailer tires and rims

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upsizing trailer tires and rims

I recently purchased a new-to-me boat, motor and trailer package with an Aquasport 225 Explorer boat. The trailer is an aluminum Magic Tilt tandem axle with brakes on one axle. I plan on towing from my home in NJ to Lake Ontario in NY, a distance of about 350 miles. The trailer currently has ST205/75-14 tires, load range C. I would like to upgrade the tires to ST205/75R tires, load range D, but am having difficulty locating them in 14". The ST205/75R-15 tires,load range D, appear to be readily available from a number of locations. With a little further research I find that the overall diameter of the 14" tire is 26.3" and the 15" tire is 27.3", and it doesn't look like clearances between tire and fender or tire and tire will be any problem. Bolt pattern for both the 14" and 15" wheels is 5-on-4.5", so no issue there. Does anybody see any issues that I might be missing before I go ahead and make the switch?

I don't see an issue so long as there is room, which you said there is. Just more cost for the rims also
    94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
    95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
    07 Seadoo GTX
    Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
    G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

How heavy are you in relation to the GTW on registration? larger tires assuming fit ok.. beneficial
      "Na ise kalyteros anthropos apo ton patera sou"

(greek= Be a better man than your father)....

Comment

most 14" trailer tires are load range D. not sure why you are having an issue finding them.

stay away from the chinesium brands (carlisle, Kenda, etc.) and that leaves you goodyears (only available in load range D)
        Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
        1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
        2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
        1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Goodyear Endurance are available in a 205/75/14 load range D.

If you do decide to go to the 15" tire, it may not be an issue. I did it with my trailer but I had to raise my fenders.
          1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
          Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
          Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
          "Common sense is not very common"
          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

I’ve done this on my trailer over the years since tires are often the weak link...started with:
            205/75-14, then 215/75-14, then 225/75-15 C rated, the latest is 225/75-15 D rated.
            if I do another upgrade might go to a six lug axle 15” rims 225/75-15 E rated. But the current set up has been fine for years including the drum surge brakes.
            1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
            4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
            07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Danforth View Post
              most 14" trailer tires are load range D. not sure why you are having an issue finding them.

stay away from the chinesium brands (carlisle, Kenda, etc.) and that leaves you goodyears (only available in load range D)
              Carslile Radial Trail is an OK tire. Goodyear Marathon is not, but the Endurance IS a great tire... Sadly the Endurance tire may be totally out of production. GY shut down the Alabama plant which produced them and the NC Plant although listed as producing them, My supplier says there are no more to be had
              1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

when I was in outdoor power equipment, often we would need to reject entire shipments of Carlisle and Kenda tires as they would split on the 6 week shipping from china. we are talking 4-8 40' ISO containers full. granted they were not radials, however the quality of tires from Carlisle and Kenda has seriously plummeted in the last 20 years.
                Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
                1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
                2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
                1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

I know I posted this before, but I've had 2 sets already of Taiwan made Kenda Load Stars and both sets went 8 years and not one failure. So I bought another set, this time 225/75-15 D rated. I actually prefer bias tires because if they do fail, no steel belts flailing about to tear stuff up. For my use they are 100% fine. Local driving at low speeds.
                  1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
                  4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
                  07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

I hope the shortage of Goodyear Endurance tires is brief. They are really nice trailer tires.
                    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

Originally posted by JASinIL2006 View Post
                      I hope the shortage of Goodyear Endurance tires is brief. They are really nice trailer tires.
                      They won't end up being USA made after.
                      1961 Custom Craft Sea Ray- 1964 Mercury 650. In family since new.

Comment

Working...
                      X