Neglected trailer

M_A_GT160

Cadet
Hello all, I’ve recently purchased one HiLiner Gypsy 222 it was dry docked on the cape for years, he brought the boat home a year ago and it sat in his back yard. When I bought the boat the wheels were flat but had new valve stems put in and the wheels were fine upon trailering the boat home one of the leaf springs popped and I had to have the boat flat bedded home the rims have so much rust and I don’t think this guy ever rinsed his boat after leaving the water, he said he had recently had both sides leaf springs replaced , again he never rinsed the thing down and they rotted out again. My question is is this trailer worth being restored u joint brackets , leaf springs , wobble wheels need replacing oh yeah and the wheel wells and lights are trash. I have a donor trailer that I put new lights on and can grab wheel wells And lights from that.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I won't ask you why you even bought something that's in such bad shape. Since the tires were flat the sidewalls may be cracked. Wobbling wheels usually means bad bearings. You make it sound like it's a rust bucket. What condition is the boat in? Post some pictures, from your description it sounds like a mess? Lot of it depends how much you want to spend on restoring it and how much work you can do yourself.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
depends on the shape of the trailer frame.. is it rotted too? axle replacement/hubs.. etc can be done which will solve your problems... boat you bought is not small.........think of spending $3K and buy a new trailer

gm280

Supreme Mariner
We need a few pictures to show us what you are dealing with and talking about. Is this boat used in fresh water or salt water? Is the rust surface or deeply pitted. So many questions that pictures will possibly answer. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hello all, I’ve recently purchased one HiLiner Gypsy 222 it was dry docked on the cape for years, he brought the boat home a year ago and it sat in his back yard. When I bought the boat the wheels were flat but had new valve stems put in and the wheels were fine upon trailering the boat home one of the leaf springs popped and I had to have the boat flat bedded home the rims have so much rust and I don’t think this guy ever rinsed his boat after leaving the water, he said he had recently had both sides leaf springs replaced , again he never rinsed the thing down and they rotted out again. My question is is this trailer worth being restored u joint brackets , leaf springs , wobble wheels need replacing oh yeah and the wheel wells and lights are trash. I have a donor trailer that I put new lights on and can grab wheel wells And lights from that.

probably not

tbfosback

Petty Officer 3rd Class
With the amount of repairs already done on this trailer.. I would sand down the entire trailer before spending any money on fixing it up..

M_A_GT160

Cadet
The tires aren’t cracked I brought the tire To a tractor trailer truck tire place and valve stems were the only issue. The wheels aren’t wobbling it’s the wobble wheels that are on the trailer the roller type wheels. The trailer came with the boat.

Last edited:

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Have you decided what you're going to do? As said before pictures help more is better, it's difficult to help without seeing what you're working with.Still sounds like a rust bucket but without seeing what you're seeing we can only guess. You were asked several questions from other guys trying to help but you didn't answer, once again it makes it difficult to help you.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have been trying to upload photos but have been getting errors

Probably the pictures are too large. Try resizing them and post. The thread has a size limit, but I don't know what the limit is off the top of my head. But use any picture editing program to resize them smaller and see what works.