Electric Winch question

Nanu

Recruit
I'm new to trailers but not boating. I just bought an 18 ft pioneer w a trailer. I was wondering if anyone can advise if a dutton-lainson strongarm tw9000 would be adequate for the trailer. The boat is appx 2500 pounds. (I've owned a 31 ft Maxim where she was docked in a slip for. The season so no trailer involved). Thanks in advance for any advice.

VE8EV

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That winch is supposed to be good for a 9000 pound boat so it should be fine. My 22' boat is about 4000 pounds and when I retired the hand winch and got an electric (a Powerwinch RC30) it was life changing.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Rating winches by boat length is a marketing ploy. In realty, a winch is fighting gravity and friction when loading a boat. The length of the boat has no bearing on winch performance except in most very generalized terms. Small, Bigger and Large would be just as descriptive...

The real issue is the speed of retrieval To enable the use of a smaller, less expensive motors (or advertise ridiculous boat length ratings) they increase the gear ratio which in turn slows the winch's retrieval rate. Although technically rated the same, a winch rated at #4,000 with a 3:1 gear ratio will retrieve the load 60% faster than a winch rated at #4,000 with a 5:1 ratio.

A "double line" setup doubles your retrieval time on top of this.

Last edited: