Need Advice on Trailer Situation

Jschro

Cadet
Hello everyone, first-time boat owner and complete newb here; so be nice please...haha. Trying to keep a long story short, but essentially I found a used 1996 Lowe 1630 FS that I liked, but the previous owner had always kept the boat in a slip and had thrown the boat on a trailer that was too small for it, and the tires weren't rated for the weight (load range B). I didn't feel comfortable hauling the boat home over two hours through the Missouri Ozarks with that trailer; so he told me that if we showed up with a different trailer that he would knock the price down. Being the newbie that I am, I had a lot of trouble even finding any trailers for sale in my area for a 16ft semi-v (or deep-v I'm not sure?) boat. Eventually, we somehow ended up with this Ranger Trail trailer, and now I'm trying to figure out what to do. It's a very nice trailer, but as you can see from the pictures, this boat is too small for this trailer and doesn't fit on it properly. The outer bunks are on the outside of the hull rubbing against the sides, and the strakes are sitting directly on the inside bunks. I later found out that this trailer is specifically made for Ranger Boats, and the bunks are not adjustable. I'm not really sure if I can do anything with this trailer, or if I have to somehow find a new trailer for it and try to sell this one and get some of my money back at least.

Attachments

• photo335054.jpg
    photo335054.jpg
    674.6 KB · Views: 4
  • photo335055.jpg
    photo335055.jpg
    624.1 KB · Views: 4
  • photo335056.jpg
    photo335056.jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo335057.jpg
    photo335057.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo335058.jpg
    photo335058.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 3
  • photo335059.jpg
    photo335059.jpg
    460.9 KB · Views: 4

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
All those bunk supports could be cut, and welded on in the corred=ct position.

Or, cut them off and attach adjustable brackets to the crossmember and put the bunk board back on.

The parts are readily available and not very expensive compared to a new trailer.

You only need 2 2x6 bunks under that boat.

A couple of these under the center keel, and square "U" bolts for mounting bolts.
Click image for larger version  Name:	ce10401g_5_250.jpg Views:	1 Size:	4.9 KB ID:	10899562

Four of these bunk brackets, and square " U " bolts for mounting bolts.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CE10003G-4_250.jpg Views:	1 Size:	16.0 KB ID:	10899563

A pair of side guides if you think you need them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	CE27600_250.jpg Views:	1 Size:	6.0 KB ID:	10899564

Most Ranger trailers also have non adjustable winch posts, so you may need to do some work with that if it does' fit properly.

By the way, your trailer looks to be in very good shape, congrats on finding one that isn't worn out.

For about $300 you should be good to go, assuming you have a saw or grinder to cut off the old supports.

Last edited:

Jschro

Cadet
By the way, your trailer looks to be in very good shape, congrats on finding one that isn't worn out.

For about $300 you should be good to go, assuming you have a saw or grinder to cut off the old supports.

Thanks for the advice Roscoe! I do have a grinder, but I work in IT in front of a computer all day, so unfortunately I'm not very handy at that sort of stuff. I might be able to figure it out though. Kinda worried that if I go cutting on this $900 2019 trailer, that it will lose any resell value in case I do want to get something else instead.

When you say this boat only needs two bunks, how do I find out where to place those? Outside of the strakes they're currently sitting on?

Also, how do I know if the winch post isn't fitting properly?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The bunks can be a few inches inside or outside of the strakes, should be at least 24-30 inches between them, but nothing is etched in stone.
You can put them wider apart if you are installing a set of side guides.

*** After looking at your photos again, You might be able to just remount the 2 outer bunks, reposition them an inch or 2 away from the boat, and they will act as side guides.

*** And instead of cutting the bunk supports for the 2 inner bunks, just unscrew the bunks, get yourself a set of the brackets in above post, and mount them to the outside of the existing supports.
As long as the existing supports are below the bunks, you should be ok, and you avoid cutting or altering the original setup. Mack sure to measure the length of bracket you need to make sure they will be tall enough.

For the winch post, the bow stop or roller on the post should be just above the bow eye on the boat.

The winch strap should go under the bow stop to connect to the eye.

Jschro

Cadet
*** After looking at your photos again, You might be able to just remount the 2 outer bunks, reposition them an inch or 2 away from the boat, and they will act as side guides.

What would be the best way to "remount" them without taking a grinder to things?

*** And instead of cutting the bunk supports for the 2 inner bunks, just unscrew the bunks, get yourself a set of the brackets in above post, and mount them to the outside of the existing supports.
As long as the existing supports are below the bunks, you should be ok, and you avoid cutting or altering the original setup. Mack sure to measure the length of bracket you need to make sure they will be tall enough.

Not sure I fully understand what you mean by "mount them to the outside of the existing supports".

Jschro

Cadet
After looking at it some more, I think I'm following you Roscoe. Problem with those outside bunks is that even if I put on a vertical bracket or something, the bracket welded to the frame is only about half an inch from the boat hull, and will be in the way. I may have to cut those ones off. For the inner bunks, I think I can just put one of those swivel brackets on there and make sure the bunk is higher than the existing welded bracket, and move the bunks. Not sure if I should position those inner bunks on the inside or outside of those strakes that are currently sitting on the bunks.

Jschro

Cadet
Some rough measurements for the inside bunks:

If I put the bunks inside the strakes they'd be approximately 20-23" apart.

If I put the bunks outside of the strakes they'd be approximately 32-35" apart.