Trailer too small?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Purchased a used 21’ Reef Runner on a single axle Load Rite trailer. The axle is a 2”x3” drop with I believe a 5200 lb capacity (according to specs for a new one). I don’t think it’s original to the trailer as from what I understand those models came stock with a 2800 lb capacity. Tires are fully inflated but still sag a little and I’m worried I’ve got an overloaded mess waiting to happen and that the previous owner cheated out on the trailer. I haven’t had any luck with internet searches getting factory info on a 2000 trailer. Should I purchase tires with a hire load rating or am I looking at getting a new tandem axle trailer or am I being overly cautious? I’m putting 5 leaf springs with a 2850 lb capacity each on before I go anywhere. Just wanna be safe and not completely lose it. Be easy on me it’s my first decent sized boat. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo334174.jpg
    photo334174.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 8

ahicks

Captain
That trailer is seriously small from what I can see in the pic. I wouldn't spend a dime on it.

You need a trailer that will support the transom of the boat.....

alldodge

Staff member
I think to small, and unable to see, but it would have to have at least a 6 lug rim for that capacity

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
hard to give advice, you are leaving out so important info.
Are there brakes on it?
Weight of your rig?
Tire weight capacity?
radials or bias ply?
A decent photo showing how the hull is supported?

Going by looks alone, trailer is too small.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Dry weight on the boat is #3,850. If the trailer is truly rated to #5,200 your good.

Springs will not increase the capacity. Only make the trailer ride like it has stone tires.

If your overhang is 12” or less off the rear roller bunk your good

ahicks

Captain
Different strokes I guess. My transom would be supported directly by the trailer. Exception being maybe, a straight inboard.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Divide 3850 by the number of rollers on your trailer. If you are carrying more than 125 pounds on each roller, then the trailer has insufficient capacity for your boat.

ahicks

Captain
That would be the AVERAGE weight per roller. A "perfect world" situation.

I am struggling to believe the front rollers are going to be supporting the same amount of weight the rear rollers would be, especially in the case of an outboard. NOW, factor in the bouncing around while going down the road. Sorry, if necessary, we'll need to agree to disagree if necessary. MY boat will have it's transom supported directly by the trailer.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
That would be the AVERAGE weight per roller. A "perfect world" situation.

I am struggling to believe the front rollers are going to be supporting the same amount of weight the rear rollers would be, especially in the case of an outboard. NOW, factor in the bouncing around while going down the road. Sorry, if necessary, we'll need to agree to disagree if necessary. MY boat will have it's transom supported directly by the trailer.

Yup. Average for sure. But you have to start somewhere to quantify capacity.

Another yup - the transom needs to be fully supported. My last sets of rollers are right at the transom and the ones forward are spaced only inches apart. As you move forward they are spaced wider.

The key is whether you can wiggle each roller by hand when the boat is on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.