What is the best way to prevent corrosion on boat trailer lights and wiring?

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Keeping all the lights on my boat trailer working properly takes some work. I do most of my boating in the ocean and must take steps to prevent corrosion from the salt. I always flush out the motor with fresh water and then run Salt-Away through it. I rinse off the trailer as well. I still get corrosion on the wiring and in the connectors . I'm replacing the connectors between the truck and the trailer now.

Any tips on preventing corrosion on the connectors? Is there something I can spray in the connectors each time after I rinse off?

Thanks.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Any tips on preventing corrosion on the connectors? Is there something I can spray in the connectors each time after I rinse off?
I boat exclusively in SW and have never had an issue with corrosion in the connectors.

What connectors your using?

Are you using the OEM 7 pin on the tow vehicle or the cheap after market trailer harness?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Are you having the problems at the lights themselves or at the trailer connector? If it is at the lights themselves, you can always solder the connection and then apply some "liquid tape" on any exposed wire and open insulation to help prevent it. It comes with an applicator brush in the can and is a very thick black gooey semi-liquid consistency. And you brush it on and it cures after some time. Works pretty well too. JMHO

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Are you having the problems at the lights themselves or at the trailer connector? If it is at the lights themselves, you can always solder the connection and then apply some "liquid tape" on any exposed wire and open insulation to help prevent it. It comes with an applicator brush in the can and is a very thick black gooey semi-liquid consistency. And you brush it on and it cures after some time. Works pretty well too. JMHO

Liquid tap is right up there with duct tape among handy things to have on hand. Great stuff for the trailer connections.

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
You need to prevent water from getting into the connections and not trying to deal with the connection after it's wet. You don't mention what connections are corroding. I'm also a saltwater guy. I use butt splices to connect my trailer lights to the trailer wiring. I use liquid tape on each end of the butt splice as others have mentioned. Then I use heat shrink tubing over the splices then again use liquid tape over the heat shrink and have never had a corroding issue. What part of Cali are you located?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here is what I do..... and I primarily boat in brine.

start at the trailer connector, run all new wiring to all the lights
buy lights with both a power wire and a ground wire
solder or non-insulated butt connectors and epoxy lined heat shrink

run a dedicated ground to each of the lights

when I re-wire a trailer, I normally buy the lights and a 100 foot spool of trailer wiring cable. I always have solder, butt connectors and many different sizes of epoxy lined heat shrink.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Basically Scott Danforth I do the same. I run a dictated ground wire to each and every light AND also ground to the trailer as well. But I crimp and then solder the connections. And since I am not in any salt water, I have never had even one issue with trailer lights. But seems others like what they are doing and to each their own.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Still got globes on one boat trailer ( if it ain't broke...)
Only used it in salt water last 7 yrs...
had it about 12 yrs
l fitted the lights

Spray the connector occasionally ( if l remember ) with WD 40.etc or specalist electrical spray,

l do try and not dunk the connector if possible but being a 2wd wagon that's not always possible with different tides/ramps

Probably have to change the connector soon...maybe....

The boat ramp is a block away...

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for all the replies. In answer to all the questions:

I have the OEM 7 pin round connector on my 4Runner. That goes to the 4 pin plug for the wires. The trailer has a removable coupler and came with a segment of the wire that is about 6 feet long and connects to the rest of the trailer wires with another 4 pin connector.

The ground is through the trailer frame and that is frequently a problem. The screws that go into the frame rust and I loose the connection. The other issue is corrosion at the 3 connections: 7 pin plug on the 4Runner. (See picture), 4 pin connector to the 6 foot wire, 6 foot wire to the trailer wire.

Connector_Compressed.jpg

BTW this is on a 30 yr old trailer. The 7 pin connector in the picture is maybe 3 years old.

I'm putting on new tail/turn signals. I plan on getting LED maybe Linkitom or Wesbar brands. For the connections I will use the liquid tape that Mike and gm280 suggested as well and maybe shrink tubing over that.

I did soak that 7 pin connector as well as the other connectors in CLR and that cleaned them up. In the future I'll try Tassie's method and spray with WD40 after *every* outing. Is there a better method?

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Today you can buy strong magnets.------You put the lights on for travel down the road.----Take the lights off when putting trailer into the water.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
As suggested, the dialectric grease helps a lot at the trailer connection.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the replies. In answer to all the questions:

I have the OEM 7 pin round connector on my 4Runner. That goes to the 4 pin plug for the wires. The trailer has a removable coupler and came with a segment of the wire that is about 6 feet long and connects to the rest of the trailer wires with another 4 pin connector.

The ground is through the trailer frame and that is frequently a problem. The screws that go into the frame rust and I loose the connection. The other issue is corrosion at the 3 connections: 7 pin plug on the 4Runner. (See picture), 4 pin connector to the 6 foot wire, 6 foot wire to the trailer wire.

BTW this is on a 30 yr old trailer. The 7 pin connector in the picture is maybe 3 years old.

I'm putting on new tail/turn signals. I plan on getting LED maybe Linkitom or Wesbar brands. For the connections I will use the liquid tape that Mike and gm280 suggested as well and maybe shrink tubing over that.

I did soak that 7 pin connector as well as the other connectors in CLR and that cleaned them up. In the future I'll try Tassie's method and spray with WD40 after *every* outing. Is there a better method
4 pin connectors have no place in a saltwater environment not to mention the science experiment in dissimilar metals you described.

Saltwater corrosion is the result of stray currents interacting at the molecular level with the various elements that make up the metals in the system. Once it starts at one location, it quickly progresses throughout the entire system.

The trick is to minimize the use of dissimilar metals, maintain good ground paths and make sure all connections are keep dry or water proofed

It all starts with a quality 7 pin connector pig tail. You wanted one with plated pins. Preferably nickel. Copper pins with be green and corroding in a week.

From there I go to a water proof termination box mounted on the tongue. Makes a convenient location to terminate the wiring between the truck and the trailer. Also provides “test points” if the need to trouble shoot the system arises.

Don’t use the cheap trailer wiring harness sold with many of the light sets. I run a good quality marine rated 18/2 duplex wire between the junction box and the various components.

Use nothing adhesive lined butt connectors to attach the components to the wiring harness. If you want to go one step further, although not needed, you can cover the butt connectors with second layer of adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.

Since this is a family forum, I will not voice my real opinion on the use of liquid electrical tape. Lets just say it’s a band aide at best....;)

Normally I run duplex wire to each component to provide a dedicated ground. If that’s not in the cards, the next best solution is to install a stainless ground stud.

Drill and tap a 10-32 UNC hole in an area with access to both sides. Apply thread locker (seals threads) and thread a stainless steel screw into the hole and allow to protrude roughly a 1/2”.

Apply thread locker to a stainless nut and thread that on the screw and tighten. Coat the head of screw and circumference of nut with RTV and let dry.

Use a multi-meter to check the resistance between your new ground stud and the 7 pin connector. Ideally there should be 0 ohms between the two points. Should be a 1/2 ohm or less.

I like Optronics (LED lights). The quality of the hardware and wires are better than most

KM7

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here is what I'm going to do:

1) Start with all the connections for the trailer lights sealed very well. I used liquid tape, heat shrink tubing and then more liquid tape. All grounds are sealed with RTV.

2) Rinse off the connectors with fresh water as soon as I pull the trailer out of salt water.

3) Rinse them again using Salt Away and fresh water again.

4) Once I get home, unplug the connectors from the truck and spray them with an Electronic Contact Cleaner.

5) Store the plug and trailer wires in the garage.

6) Clean them with CLR when needed.

ElectronicCleaner.jpg

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, that Liquid Electrical Tape works great?....a can is about $11, so it ain't cheap, but a can should last for a long time....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I used one of those junction boxes this Spring when I was refreshing the wiring on my trailer. They are really nice and make it easy to hook up the connections.

I might have to look for one of those storage fittings for the 7-pin connector....

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I do everything Dingbat does although I do put grounds to the frame near my lights. They get their own drilled whole with a nut, bolt and painted over.

I also use this at the front of my trailer:

https://smile.amazon.com/MICTUNING-H...4336362&sr=8-2

Along with this to store the 7 pin connector out of the weather
https://smile.amazon.com/HUSKY-TOWIN...4336419&sr=8-2

All my lights are sealed LED...Optronics...on all trailers I own...not just boats.

I believe I used that very same 7 pin harness with the junction box. The one I had was wired wrong. I had to move almost all the wires around to get it properly wired. But it was definitely handy for terminating everything in one neat spot.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
There are two or three different configurations for the seven pin plugs. Sometimes you have to do a little investigation to figure out which one your trailer uses.