American US Trailer Conversion to EU Standard - Hints/Tips?

Onegazza

Seaman
Hi All,

My boat was imported around 5 years ago from Florida to the UK and, came with the original American trailer. The American trailers are rather cool, it's a fully galvanised trailer, very sturdy and has suspension, which isn't common on British trailers.

I'm looking to do the trailer conversion to EU standard, as I intend on using the trailer more often now. Does anyone have any experience or guide for a conversion?

Looking at the Regulations and the trailer, it looks like i need to install the following (boat and trailer weigh c. 1300kg):

- change 1 1/2" towball hitch to 50mm towball
- change hubs to 4 stud electric drum brake hubs and run associated cables through trailer
- Fit ratchet handbrake to trailer arm with break away cable
- Fit ratchet handbrake cable to T section, running cables to the brake shoes

As far as i can see, there's 2 ways i can go about this:
1. Buy all the parts and fit as necessary
2. Buy a salvaged caravan chassis and, use the donor parts (potentially also needing to change the axle over)

In terms of cost, both options seem to be roughly similar at £300-400, the benefit being that under option 1, the parts will be new - the downside being that there may be a few bits i've forgotten / i may need a new trailer arm, at an additional cost of £100.

I have explored just replacing the trailer but, a good 2nd hand fully galvanised trailer seems to be in the region of £1,500 so, the best option seems to be to do a conversion. I have attached a photo of my trailer so, you know the type i'm talking about.

Attachments

• photo331590.jpg
    photo331590.jpg
    482.6 KB · Views: 0

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I can't speak to the other stuff, but for the electric brakes, buy a kit new. It will have new wiring, new hubs, new drums, new everything, and your installation will be a lot easier. Some kits may even come with the breakaway box, although I don't know if that would be up to EU standards.

If you get drum brakes, I recommend Dexter Never-Adjust brakes. Very easy installation and maintenance.

Even though it's more costly, I cannot begin to comprehend the headaches you're likely to experience in transferring all that from a salvage trailer...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
- change 1 1/2" towball hitch to 50mm towball

I have never seen a 1.5" ball and coupler.

Here in the US, trailer couplers are 1.875 for small light trailers.generally under 1500# capacity )

2" , or 50 mm couplers for 1500# and up.

and 2.312 for heavy tow situations.

Your trailer should have a 2" 50mm coupler.

Onegazza

Seaman
So, under EU law, any trailers with a gross weight over 750kg must be braked, linked to the brakes on the vehicle towing (I.e. no remotes etc allowed). So, the typical options are hydraulic or electric, electric obviously being the standard.

They must also have a mechanical brake and mechanical breakaway system. So, this means the brakes must also accept handbrake cables, actioned by a ratchet handbrake, which has the breakaway cable linkage.

Do the typical US drum brakes also accept a mechanical brake, as I know you're allowed things like breakaway batteries, negating the need for mechanical?

alpalu

Recruit
As someone else said, 1.5 inches isn't used in the US. You'd either have 1 7/8, or 2 inches, and 2 inches is 50.8mm -- you'll never have a problem with a ball that's .8mm "too large", so I'd leave that as-is, unless you actually do have the smaller 1 7/8" hitch.

Wavewarrior

Cadet
So, under EU law, any trailers with a gross weight over 750kg must be braked, linked to the brakes on the vehicle towing (I.e. no remotes etc allowed). So, the typical options are hydraulic or electric, electric obviously being the standard.

They must also have a mechanical brake and mechanical breakaway system. So, this means the brakes must also accept handbrake cables, actioned by a ratchet handbrake, which has the breakaway cable linkage.

Do the typical US drum brakes also accept a mechanical brake, as I know you're allowed things like breakaway batteries, negating the need for mechanical?

Can't say I've ever seen a mechanical brake in USA , all standard electric breaks have a small 12v battery that powers the emergency brake / brake away switch.......