Swapping trailers advice or suggestions

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ahoy
so I bought a old boat for $500, only for the trailer and I’m planning on swapping trailers. I have a 16ft aluminum Starcraft SS. I have an crappy bunk trailer, with the old bogy rollers start the back. It’s a tilt trailer but I always get to use nice steep enough launches.

new trailer is a roller, galvanized and has the boat sit lower like a normal trailer does. Current trailers has boat fairly high. I know good pics will be needed, and I’ll get those on tomorrow. I’ve put the boats side by side and with a tape measure I’m confident the rollers will be good. There’s a set of 4 on either side at the stern, and a set of 2 about midship. My only semi-concern is the keel rollers aren’t spaced the same. Not that far off, but my current trailer has the center beam run from coupler back a good 1/3rd of the length, for tilting ability.

new trailer has a more A - frame and center beam ends close to where the side rails are welded to center beam.

I think the mid-ship rollers can tilt freely but might need to be just adjusted. The new boat is a deep V, and my SS more of a flat bottom. So once new boat is launched I plan on checking mid rollers and loosening the bolt if they are fixed.

Im thinking I’ll launch both boats, pull new trailer out and just doing the mid roller check / adjustment then going knee deep or more and hand retrieve the boat slowly and possibly adjusting while in the water. I’m going to put new bolts on the adjustable parts so I’m not fighting rusty ones.

id like to take my time doing this, but I might not get that luxury. I have wondered about trying to put the boats on jack stands of some sort, but that’s probably a bad idea.

anyone who’s been down this road have any tips or willing to share their experience? I might call a couple boat service shops and see if they can help for a reasonable price.

I might look at changing the rear roller brackets to the type that can freely tilt. And I’m going to be replacing a couple roller wheels that have cracks.

Attachments

• photo331200.jpg
    photo331200.jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo331201.jpg
    photo331201.jpg
    336.6 KB · Views: 0

matt167

Captain
Just find a nice quiet launch and launch and swap them, adjust them as needed pulling them in and out.. Your junker boat should float which is a plus. I'd make sure it has a working bilge pump though because it has the potential to leak

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
You should easily be able to dump and reload the SS on you lawn.
Have done it with an 18' SS, and an 18 Holiday.

Just tilt the motor all the way up, then put 2 tires side by side under the transom.
And something directly under the consoles, (I used a 55 gal drum on its side one time, and an old cargo box another time ). This will keep the bow up and make loading onto the new trailer much easier.

I did this in the parking lot of an auction yard one time, and donated the unwanted trailer back to the charity that ran the auctions.

PlayD0h

Petty Officer 1st Class
You should easily be able to dump and reload the SS on you lawn.
Have done it with an 18' SS, and an 18 Holiday.

Just tilt the motor all the way up, then put 2 tires side by side under the transom.
And something directly under the consoles, (I used a 55 gal drum on its side one time, and an old cargo box another time ). This will keep the bow up and make loading onto the new trailer much easier.

I did this in the parking lot of an auction yard one time, and donated the unwanted trailer back to the charity that ran the auctions.

Your the second person to suggest this, and despite how concerned I was, I did it. My concern was the boat rolling on its side.
I put 2 tires, one on rim with pressure the one on top just rubber, on either corner. The trailer has bogey rollers so there’s no room at the back.
I used the winch to control the tilt (tilt trailer), then anchored the boat from behind and pulled ahead slowly, stopping often to check.
when it was as far back as it could go, I put 2 bare tires stacked under the hull, about console level, and a jack stand with some bluejean material to avoid scratches. It stayed right where it was and I just backed up the roller trailer under it. Winched it the rest of the way when it sat down on the front rollers.
thanks for the tips guys.