Are PVC wobble rollers OK to use with an aluminum boat???

lake_trout

Cadet
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice. I need to replace the old black rubber wobble rollers on my shorelandr trailer, and I am limited in my options due to the short shaft (1" to the pin hole) that the rollers mount to. I want to get some non marring rollers, but most that I can find have a 1 1/2 " wide center hole... which won't work.

I did manage to find a couple of different PVC rollers (one smooth black, one clear amber with ridges) that will work, but I am concerned they will be too hard and not provide much shock support. I have a 22' aluminaum Starcraft, and I really don't want to dimple the hull!

Does anybody have any experience and advice on the PVC wobble rollers, or have any alternative suggestions?

Thanks,inchinch

lake trout

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
The clear amber Stoltz rollers are the best rollers there ever were.

Check the total weight of the hull, motor, fuel and accessories, and divide it by the number of rollers you intend to use. The "weight per roller" will be the best guide to whether you can get away with it or not.

Regardless, if the rollers will ride over rivets, that could be an issue.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have 5” x 3“ Yates (1” shaft) PVC roller on my trailer.

Took me a while to find rollers to replace the trailers OE rollers. A number of rollers use adapters to suit the different shaft configurations.

They (24) have held up well under the load off a #5k+ glass boat.

Cant speak for how well they would work for an aluminum boat

lake_trout

Cadet
Thanks for the advice! I haven't found anything but keel and bow rollers by stoltz. Also they are made from polyurethane, not PVC as far as I've seen. I'll post this over in the Starcraft forum to see if any of the tin boat owners have an opinion.

lake_trout

Cadet
Hey jbcurt00, Sorry about that - my bad! I have a project thread over there (starcraft forum), is it ok to post a link to this thread in that???

Thanks,
lake trout