Turnsignals not working

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The third biggest cause of light problems after bad grounds and burned out bulbs is Blinker Fluid. Besides not over our under filling the blinker (DOT Flasher) you need to use the right fluid, not just what ever is saying around. I throw out all the old stuff every couple years and get fresh as it can pick up moisture after the container is opened. Check your container to make sure if you are using the right one.
Flasher Fluid only works for 6 volt positive ground vehicles
Blinker Fluid works on all 6 volt systems regardless of polarity
DOT 3 Blinker Fluid works on 12 Volt vehicles and older 6 volt systems
DOT 3.5 Blinker Fluid is rare,only for 24 volt trucks built in the 60s
DOT 4 Blinker Fluids is for vehicles with LED lights or vehicles pulling trailers with LED lights and older systems
DOT 5 Blinker Fluid is for hybrids, electrics and all older vehicles.
USCG 1369 Blinker Fluid for boats, will work on all vehicles but costs a lot more especially if you buy a Manufacture's branded blinker fluid.
FAA and Mil Spec has many grades that they use for everything from tanks to jets.
Musk Oil only works on for Teslas

The wrong Blinker Fluid can certainly ruin your day trying to figure out why a bulb that isn't a turn signal flashes or doesn't work at all. Usually it is another problem but but when I have checked Grounds, continuity, corrosion, burned out bulbs and polarity the next step is to go to the auto parts store and get a fresh container of DOT 5 blinker fluid. they can also look up where you put it and how to check the level on your vehicle. All the major outboard manufactures also make blinker fluid but unless you have a flashing light required by the coast guard, it seems like a wast of money.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good info, illinoid.

Did you forget to mention any Blinker Fluid or Flasher Fluid used in boats must meet or exceed SAE J1171 standards?

With all the overlapping standards, it's possible fluid purchased at WallyWorld for your road vehicle may meet DOT specs and not SAE J1171 specs. If it meets SAE J1171 standards, the price will be twice, triple or even quadruple the same juice without SAE J1171 markings, hence the acronym B.O.A.T.

Natural Resource enforcement officers across the country are receiving remedial training to detect the use of non-SAE J1171 Blinker and Flasher fluid in watercraft. Some departments are training specialized sniffer dogs to assist these officers. Portuguese Water Dogs were assumed to be a natural choice for training, but it was determined they were unruly and jumped in the water at the least provocation. Research has shown the most acceptable canine breed is the Bassett Hound. Here is a picture of a recent graduate hard at work;

bassett.png

Choose wisely my friends! It is illegal to use Blinker or Flasher fluid if the container does not have SAE J1171 designated on the the container. Fines, restitution and jail time are not worth not using SAE J1171 Blinker and Flasher fluid in our boats.

Beware scammers, both overseas and domestic, are selling ordinary Blinker and Flasher fluid not meeting SAE J1171 standards. These containers do not have "Meets or exceeds SAE J1171 standards" printed on the label. If that phrase is written on the label with a Magic Marker, it is a dangerous counterfeit. You are warned!

harringtondav

Commander
.....once you get the blinkers fixed, don't forget to rotate the spark plugs in you tow vehicle.

ahicks

Captain
And change the air in your tires. ALL of it!

I won't get into the complexity regarding one way wire. You could write a book with what you need to know there....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have a set of high-performance lead pistons for a 2017 Nash Rambler.

comes with a coupon for a free bottle of Blinker Fluid

blinker-fluid.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
And change the air in your tires. ALL of it!

I won't get into the complexity regarding one way wire. You could write a book with what you need to know there....

Thank you! I was trying to get my radio to work after I re wired it. All the testing, came up empty. Once I reversed the wire, it worked perfectly! Never to old to learn something new!

MRS

Commander
My blinkers are weak need them brighter but forgot how to bleed them please help me.:confused:

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Always buy your blinker fluid bleeders from iboats and don't forget the discount code. The ones on Amazon are cheap imports.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Turn signals,..??..??..??

Isn't that what yer left arm is for,..??

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ayuh,..... Turn signals,..??..??..??

Isn't that what yer left arm is for,..??

If you're driving in England, only Guinness is the approved blinker fluid. Using your left arm will result in a Bobbie performing a blinker fluid test.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, is Castrol Blinker Fluid any better the Valvoline? I mean we usually debate such things on here and everyone wants the best... Which brings me to the next question, Synthetic or regular?

sam am I

Commander
Use wi-fi blinkers, this way you don't require fluids (Castrol, Valvoline and the like) however you DO have to make sure there's plenty of Aether in your sphere region of the universe.

You can download the app at the playstore but it will need to update almost daily until it works so poorly you just give up using it

Last edited: