Maximum trailer tongue length?

lacazet2k

Banned
I went this past weekend to pickup a Craigslist find and was on my way home with a boat and trailer.
The boat is a 14' aluminum v hull and the trailer a bare bones Venture trailer with two bunks on a stamped steel frame about 4' wide, 4' long. Most of the trailer is tongue. The boat fits the trailer well, loads easily, (it weighs only a few hundred pounds at best), and all the lights work). The way the trailer is made, the tongue beam runs from the rear of the trailer all the way to the ball, there's roughly 13' of tongue beyond the trailer 'frame'.

To make a long story short, an officer pulled me over at 2am on my way home, probably thinking I stole the thing and after he checked out all the paperwork came back and said that the trailer was illegal, the tongue is too long. He insisted that the tongue of any trailer can be no more than 5' long.
I can find no such law on the books, he didn't write a ticket but when I called the police here they also said that a trailer tongue technically cannot be longer than 5' long. This is in NJ.
I don't think I've ever owned a boat trailer with a tongue shorter than 10'.
The tongue on this trailer extends about 3' beyond the bow of the boat, the boat sits about two inches up on the rear bunks and there's a bow roller both at the point where the frame ends and about midway up the tongue. The boat don't way enough to be of any concern, its light enough to car top if I cared to.

Has anyone ever heard of any such law? I can find nothing of the sort online. I think it was just BS so he could pull me over and check out what I was doing that night.
If it is the law, then 90% of all boat trailers are in violation.

alldodge

Staff member
Has anyone ever heard of any such law?

I have not, but it must be true because the police have said it is, then that is the way it is.

Suggest contacting NJ DMV or who ever does boat/trailer licensing and ask for the regulation. The reg should state what is expected/needed

Thinking the trailer is like a long Tee, maybe it just needs a couple pieces of tubing from axle frame forward to bow. My holesclaw trailer has 2 rods attached this way

trailer.jpg

ahicks

Captain
Did he write you a ticket? If not, write the guy off as another clueless butt head and move on.

If he did write a ticket, he had to reference some vague law on the ticket that you could look up I suppose. To fight it you would need to show up in person, and my guess is that the poor excuse of an officer is taking advantage of the fact few will do that.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
being word for word, its a spammer. been plenty of them on the forum lately

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
being word for word, its a spammer. been plenty of them on the forum lately

I got one the other day. A word for word post for 18 months earlier with a new user name.

Thanks for finishing the work I was in the middle of checking, dingbat Verification is nice. :smile:

We have a new ex-member. Actually 2 because I forgot to ban the Marlon copy and paste poster.

Last edited:

rothfm

Ensign
Can someone help me understand these "spammers"...Ive seen some other threads were the users have been ID'd and booted off.

What gives? What are they actually doing? I dont see any advertisments or solicitations etc...So, I dont get what its all about, or what they are trying to accomplish?

GA_Boater

This all the troubles we've had lately, they fall under the heading of "Usual Suspects". So it's an effort to help keep the forum working.

Some join forums to solicit by private messaging, some phish and some are just plain disruptors. We don't want to hurt the feelings of an occasional legitimate new member, but surprisingly none of them ever complain about getting the boot. They realize they were caught.

rothfm

Ensign
Thanks,

huh, go figure... I'm not nieve, but didnt realize what they would be up to actually. Learned something today.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
many spammers also post on social media to get you to click on this (Click-Bait used to infect your computer) or to take this on-line test (data gathering click-bait).

from the answers, they can back-door people and get access to someones computer, monitor their activities, and from the data they collected on all the social media sites.

all that data that is gathered is collected, sorted, and once they have a trojan on your PC, can gain access to bank accounts, etc.

other forms of spammers try to get more and more fake information about a product or issue then claim to have "proof of need" or product that fixes it. these are used to push SEO driven sales.

in a nut-shell, spammers are bad.

GA_Boater

All the crooked people on the internet are trying to steal from you - It's that simple. And they don't need to gain access to the guts of the software, some of us do it to themselves.

For example, it used to be that we didn't allow usernames to be a person's email address and a thief doesn't even have to be a member to see usernames. We finally gave up.

People will mask license number,s HINs, state reg. number, etc. and use an email username. If you aren't careful you start to get emails about your bank account being suspended, Internet provider issue or the IRS is coming after you for back taxes. The email says to clink on a link to rectify the the issue and the next thing you know you have ZERO bucks in your account.

I get emails from about every bank in the country and I only use one. Looking at the sending address, most are from a gmail, outlook or roadrunner account. Why would a bank, IRS or IP not use their own domain to contact customers? And the IRS can't send me an email when I never gave them my address and are constantly warning about emails and phones from them because they only contact through the US mail.

Protect yourself, no one else can.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I get emails from about every bank in the country and I only use one. Looking at the sending address, most are from a gmail, outlook or roadrunner account.

Protect yourself, no one else can.

Well, what am I doing wrong?
I'm not getting all the spamails :(

Have had the same 2 email addresses for 15 years, and 90% of what I get is from know sources.
9% from email lists bought from or associated with known sources, like political re-election fundraisers.
And 1% from spammers.
I've got online accounts linked to my emails at about 75 sites.
I even have my email posted on several sites, and nobody sends my carp.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Well, what am I doing wrong?
I'm not getting all the spamails :(

Have had the same 2 email addresses for 15 years, and 90% of what I get is from know sources.
9% from email lists bought from or associated with known sources, like political re-election fundraisers.
And 1% from spammers.
I've got online accounts linked to my emails at about 75 sites.
I even have my email posted on several sites, and nobody sends my carp.
Your either lucky or have a very good spam filter on your inbox.

My wife was getting 15-20 per day before upgrading her spam filter.

My work email is listed as a contact on the company website. The spam filter blocks 100s per day

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
thanks for bringing spam to my attention, I used to like it on a sandwich but not anymore, one or 2 things about a extra long tongue I noticed: 1- a long tongue is good at a shallow graduall boat ramp 2- the sailboat I like needs one to get the boat in the water, but the one I really liked had a sliding tongue that could be slid out past the road tongue, then slid back in again