Does this look right?

AllegedP

Cadet
I found a used trailer that fits the dimensions I'm looking for on Craigslist, but the axle doesn't look right...doesn't look centered on spring. I contacted seller to ask him about this but haven't heard back yet. Listing says several parts have been replaced including leaf springs and other hardware, but it just doesn't look right. Shouldn't axle be centered on the spring and not forward of the center-line? I'm a newb at boating and trailers and don't want to get a trailer that's worse than the one I'm replacing.

Attachments

• photo324952.jpg
    photo324952.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 4

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It appears to just be the picture angle. Really can't tell with the angle.

alldodge

Staff member
Shouldn't axle be centered on the spring and not forward of the center-line?

I would agree. If its not then maybe the guy just picked up some springs, replaced them and sold it, may have never used it

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
First, I must assume the front of the trailer is facing left. If that's correct, then the movable spring shackles are at the right end of the spring. So far so good -- however, looking at the shackles, they point forward which is incorrect. They should point slightly rearward. This to me indicates the spring is too short. Next, stacks of spring leafs are held together with a bolt through the entire stack. The head of that bolt is captured in the square plate that the U-bolts go through which prevents the axle from sliding forward or backward in the U-bolts. Some more pictures would help but I' with the others here. I'm guessing the wrong spring was installed.

AllegedP

Cadet
Silvertip, I tend to agree with a leaf spring that was too short. Seller hasn't yet responded...but its the weekend and he is selling through a business rather than as an individual. You lost me when you started talking about the leaf springs held together. I understand that, but not sure where you were going with that thought.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
The leaf springs that make up a "spring pack" have a bolt that passes through each leaf near the center. The head of that bolt serves as a "locator" to make sure the axle doesn't slip forward or backward. The "U-bolts" job is to sandwich everything together but it's the center bolt that prevents fore-aft slipoage. Take a good look at how the mounting is configured. You can't miss the center bolt. The wrong spring would mean the bolt is in the wrong position therefore causing the spring shackles to be slanted forward rather than backward. It's all about geometry.