Brake Pad Question

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I just did a complete brake job on my trailer my truck is next. I currently have ceramic pads and was thinking on installing semi metallic pads at least in the front for a little more stopping power. I'm curious on how much "extra" braking power I should expect to get with the semi metallic pads? I'd like to hear if anyone has any experience good or bad on doing this.

matt167

Captain
Semi Metallic is the old 'standard' here in hilly Ny. Not really sure how much better braking will be, but it's what I would do. My vehicles still get semi metallic

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the information. I'm in the flatland of So. Cal luckily the only "hill" I have to climb is up the incline of the boat ramp.. I expect more rotor wear but I'll take that if I can get noticeably better braking. I don't drive the truck much, maybe 1k miles a year and it's mostly for pulling my boat. My goal is to be able to stop a little quicker when "that guy" cuts in front of me to get to the red light first.

Last edited:

dwco5051

Commander
I would be wary of installing different pads front and rear as it may confuse the magic box that controls the ABS. Not a statement of fact but just my uneducated opinion.

matt167

Captain
It won't matter, as brakes are proportioned differently, and modern trucks have 4 wheel speed sensors. Older models often used a single sensor in the center of the rear differential

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I doubt you will notice the difference. Used both styles on many different vehicles over the years, never noticed a difference

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
Personally I would stay with OEM type pads. Ie if it came with ceramic, put them back on. I have run ceramic for years, they are cleaner, stop great, and no issues with what i am towing. Multiple trailers.