How to get a 36 foot boat off of a lowboy.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello, I am thinking about buying a 36 foot boat, I have a transporter to bring it to me, but how would I unload the boat off of his trailer? the boat is going in my backyard right now so I can work on it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
heavy equipment or a Marine Travel Lift

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hire a crane.------What make of boat ?----Boat should be marked with ----" sling here " ---stickers.

vroom ZOOM

Petty Officer 1st Class
maxum 3300scr. I am trying to get it into my backyard, so they would have to truck a crane to my place - seems unpractical

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Is there enough room for the truck and lowboy to get into the backyard?

No, they won't have to truck a crane to your place. They have wheels and drive trains.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
maxum 3300scr. I am trying to get it into my backyard, so they would have to truck a crane to my place - seems unpractical

so does buying a 33 foot boat without a trailer and wanting to put it in your back yard.

your two choices are to ship the boat to a marina with a marine travel lift and either work on the boat at the marina, or hire a service (like the marina) with a hydraulic boat transfer trailer to put the boat in your back yard on jack stands and cribbing

or hire a crane with a spreader bar and slings to take the boat off the low boy and drop in your yard. you still need boat jack stands and cribbing

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Crane would be cheaper than 6 men and a boy to take it off the trailer.----Risking damage to the boat.------Or hire a boat transport company with the proper trailer to put it where you want it.----All depend on the room available in your back yard I suppose..

GA_Boater

Why not hire a transport outfit to deliver the boat where you want it on proper support? They do that, you know.

GA_Boater

That's huge backyard, Grub. I doubt luv has that much acreage in his back 40. :smile:

Some boat transporters use hydraulic trailers made just for luv's situation. If I remember, tpenfield or Ned L had his boat moved home at the end of a season on a hydraulic trailer.

tpenfield

Staff member
you could have the boat off-loaded at a marina that has a travel lift. then you could hire a local boat hauler that has a hydraulic trailer and can up the boat in the back yard where you want it. That way, no need for a crane and the space that it would need,

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
That's huge backyard, Grub. I doubt luv has that much acreage in his back 40.
:smile:

Yeah, that's at work. We do load/ unload trucks quite often.

Bondo

Staff member
Hello, I am thinking about buying a 36 foot boat, I have a transporter to bring it to me, but how would I unload the boat off of his trailer? the boat is going in my backyard right now so I can work on it.

Ayuh,...... The simplest answer is to hire a transporter with a hyd. boat trailer,.......
With the hyd. trailer he could back in, 'n literally set it on boat stands, or stacks of blocking,....

If you insist on this guy with a lowboy, Yer gonna need a huge pile of blocking, 'n some steel beams a couple feet longer than the trailer is wide,......
You'll have to jack up the boat on the trailer, slide the steel beams across the trailer, then jack up the beams enough to clear the trailer, pull the trailer out, then lower it with jacks 'n blocking to set it on stands or blocking at the height you want,.....

I've done it both ways,..... With a hyd. trailer it's a 1/2 hour operation,...... With a lowboy, it's a long days work,.....

Ned L

Commander
Ayuh,...... The simplest answer is to hire a transporter with a hyd. boat trailer,.......
With the hyd. trailer he could back in, 'n literally set it on boat stands, or stacks of blocking,....

If you insist on this guy with a lowboy, Yer gonna need a huge pile of blocking, 'n some steel beams a couple feet longer than the trailer is wide,......
You'll have to jack up the boat on the trailer, slide the steel beams across the trailer, then jack up the beams enough to clear the trailer, pull the trailer out, then lower it with jacks 'n blocking to set it on stands or blocking at the height you want,.....

I've done it both ways,..... With a hyd. trailer it's a 1/2 hour operation,...... With a lowboy, it's a long days work,.....

Yes, that is your answer.
Guys that move boats have the right trailers.
and if the move isn't more than about 25 miles you should be able to move the decimal point about one place to the left in the number that was given above.

enhance