Aluminum trailer hardware..

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
My galv trailer on my MFG is on the way out .. I could probably do some welding/re-enforcing on it and get a few more years out of it .. But thinking on getting a n aluminum trailer for it instead . I,m gunna check this one out along with the one sitting next to it in the yard with the boat on it .. The one with the boat has torsion springs ..
https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/d/penney-farms-alum-float-on-trailer/7051595747.html
I see a lot of galv parts and pieces that are bolted on to the aluminum trailers and was wondering if the 2 different metals will cause corrosion of the aluminum ... Are insulators needed at the connections ? SS bolts and nuts ok ?
Thoughts ?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My Galv trailer has a few more years on it but I’ve been looking at aluminum as a replacement.

I fish with a number of people running aluminum trailers. Heard or have seen all the stories first hand.....Aluminum trailers have their own set of issues but nothing to keep me from buying one.

I have a bigger issue with the design of torsion axles than anything. Replacing an entire axle for a failed rubber suspension component suxs.

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
Aluminum v steel.

instead of frame rotting out you will still battle hardware. The weight savings is minimal if any unless it’s a much bigger boat so you wont see fuel mileage increase. Long term you can expect the trailer itself to age better but often times the cost to renew everything that eventually wears out in a smaller trailer any way it’s still cheaper to just buy one used than fixing it.

now in a large trailer that’s a hard to find fit used in good condition, alum should be a good choice repair it as needed and not be forced to buy new. Most larger boat trailers are used in salt water so finding a better used trailer is less likely smaller boats if your willing to drive inland are more abundant at least that’s been my experience.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The boat that’s going on the trailer will be used mostly in salt water . I don’t mind replacing some fasteners or parts from time to time as long as the main beams stay sound . I wonder if spraying all the connections and fasteners with a few coats of clear coat would help slow down some of the corrosion .. Or paint ...

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
The boat that’s going on the trailer will be used mostly in salt water . I don’t mind replacing some fasteners or parts from time to time as long as the main beams stay sound . I wonder if spraying all the connections and fasteners with a few coats of clear coat would help slow down some of the corrosion .. Or paint ...

I wonder if application of something like FluidFilm or Woolwax would do the trick?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I have a similar magic tilt dual axle, there a many galvanized parts on it that don’t cause a corrosion issue. The corrosion of aluminum depends on the purity ($$) of the aluminum. It’s not a problem when the correct grade/type of aluminum is used.

that really looks like a good trailer for the price, probably like a $3k trailer new for comparison.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I wonder if application of something like FluidFilm or Woolwax would do the trick?
Not worth the time an effort.

Both Galv and aluminum require exposure to oxygen form their protects layers. The problems begins in areas where long term moisture retention (cracks, joints, etc.) doesn’t allow the oxide coating to form its natural protective natural barrier.

In the long run, spray coatings cause more problems than it solves, not to mention DNR will not be very happy with you generating an “sheen” every time you back the trailer in the water.

Properly constructed and cared for, no reason you shouldn’t get 10-15 years between major rebuilds in saltwater. I’m more than happy getting 10-15 years of service out of a $4,200 investment

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
I have a bigger issue with the design of torsion axles than anything. Replacing an entire axle for a failed rubber suspension component suxs.

Can't speak of boat trailers, but I've had 25+ year old snowmobile trailers that had LOTS of miles, have yet to replace a torsion axle.