what is this tire size?

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I tried search on "how to read trailer tire size", most shows similar to standard car tires (like P235/70/16).

I am going to drive ~2hrs to look at a boat, which includes a trailer. Seller says one tire/rim is no good. So, I would like to buy two new tires (those that include rims, like Farm Fleet), save the receipt, bring it along, so if I buy the boat, I would have tires to replace right away.

So, I ask the seller what is the tire size, this is what he gave me:

The tire is a 5.7-8 on a 4 lug rim, measurement from one lug hole to the hole next to it is 2-7/8 inches.

So, what is the tire/rim size to buy?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How heavy is the boat and trailer? You might see if the seller can get the Load Range on the tire to handle the weight.

Don't forget to check the bearings before towing home.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
That may be a hard to find size locally.

Farm and Fleet is your best bet.

If you buy the boat, consider switching to a more common and easily available tire size.

5.3 x 12 would be good, if it fits under the trailer's fender.
At Farm and Fleet:
[h=1]Carlisle Tire & Wheel Company LRC Sport Trail LH 4 Hole Assembly - 5.30-12 6 ply construction with 1050# capacity per tire[/h]

Last edited:

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Don't forget to check the bearings before towing home.
I plan on that. I would just see if the wheel wiggle, then I would know it's too loose. Then when I get home, I would take it apart and even get new bearings.

5.3 x 12 would be good,
if it fits under the trailer's fender
That's what I would like to learn about. How to be able to determine to which sizes.

So, trailer tires (as well garden, tractors, etc) go by 2 numbers?

For vehicles, (example) P235/70/16, 235 is the width, 70 is the ratio/percentage of the width, 16 is the rim size. Lugs is all depends on the vehicle.

dwco5051

Commander
You left out one variable, how much does the boat weigh? Over the years I have had a few 12'-14' fishing boats, mostly aluminum. A couple came with 4.80-8 tires when I got them (all used boats), I always would put 5-70-8 load range D trailer tires on if the tires were at all in question and never had a problem in 55 years. On those 8" rims there is basically only two standard bolt circles, the 4 lug or 5 lug. Just about very store sells them, just google 5.70-8 trailer tires and you will find a good bit of info. Most all come from China and remember you get what you pay for.

matt167

Captain
4 lug trailer is 4 x 4.5. Of all places to get a tire/ wheel combo, Walmart may have the best price and you can't get a better tire than the Sport Trail they carry. Understand it's not a very good tire, but it's what is available

Last edited:

CNT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
5-70-8 load range D trailer tires
Just asking… is 5-70-8 same thing as 5.70x8 ?

4 lug trailer is 4 x 4.5
Just asking… is that just the rim?

If I am looking for a tire/rim combo, how would I ask the tire dept staff? Not having a tire and/or rim with me, do I need to know both numbers? Example: "I need a 5.70x8 tire on a 4x4.5 rim, in a tire/rim combo"

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

If I am looking for a tire/rim combo, how would I ask the tire dept staff? Not having a tire and/or rim with me, do I need to know both numbers? Example: "I need a 5.70x8 tire on a 4x4.5 rim, in a tire/rim combo"

You want a 5.70 x 8 tire with a 4 lug rim

ahicks

Captain

If I am looking for a tire/rim combo, how would I ask the tire dept staff? Not having a tire and/or rim with me, do I need to know both numbers? Example: "I need a 5.70x8 tire on a 4x4.5 rim, in a tire/rim combo"[/QUOTE]

Yes
I would be looking for a 5.70x8 on a 4 lug rim. You can double check the lug pattern if you like, but if it was produced in the last 20 years or so, the 4 hole rims are pretty much universal in my experience. And I would buy something with a ply rating at least one step higher than the tire capacity suggests. In other words, if the trailer capacity could be handled by a 4 ply rating tire, I would get a 6.

Noteworthy maybe, is that because the 4 hole rim pattern is nearly universal, with enough fender and sidewall clearance, there are several different sizes that could be used on that hub, from 8" diameter all the way up to 13", including the low profile wider tires, like a 20x8.00x10 for instance (my personal favorite).

Another vote for Walmart online. Pick them up or have them delivered to your door, easily returnable. -Al