Brake rotor question

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
How much rust is too much rust on a rotor? The pads are fine.

Attachments

• photo323500.jpg
    photo323500.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 1
  • photo323501.jpg
    photo323501.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What does the back side look like?

I would have the rotors turned, but the pitting may be too deep. I think the rotors are less than 50% effective judging by the shiny vs non-shiny spots.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hard to tell.

Mine look the same if they sit for more than a week (salt water) Run ceramic pads to counter the problem. Rotors are nice and shiny by the time I get to my destination.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I don't think them will shine up during use. If it were mine I'd be putting new calipers also.

mike_i

Thanks guys, I'm going to take them in to see if there's enough meat left to turn them and proceed from there. While doing some research I found that kodiak now has a new type of coating that sounds interesting called Koda Guard, has anybody had any experience with this coating?

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If those were just rust stains it would clean up but if that is deep pitting there is not really that much you can take off and have the rotor still be thick enough. It looks like deeper pitting to me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
While doing some research I found that kodiak now has a new type of coating that sounds interesting called Koda Guard, has anybody had any experience with this coating?
My rotors are Kodiak Dacromet.

The calipers and rotors, outside the braking area, has held up pretty well to salt water. Pretty sure the protective coating in the braking area was gone by the time I got to the end of the drive way

NHGuy

Captain
Since the rotors are so far gone just start over. I would get pads too even though yours have some life. You never know when the old pads will fail. And they don't cost that much in a kit.
Also verify that everything is working while doing the parts.
Check that the pads can move against their brackets. They always stick.
Your rotors have so much corrosion that there's a possibility the pads aren't hitting them if the calipers are at all siezed.
They can seize at the slides or at the the hydraulic pistons or both.
Remove corrosion, clean and lubricate any slides.
If you have a hydraulic surge system you can usually look up how to pump the master cylinder at the tongue.
On mine I was able to have my helper pump my brakes with a lever in the top of the coupler.
If your hydraulics haven't been serviced in the last few years it's a good move.
You may even want to do a bleed, wise thing.

NHGuy

Captain
I also have the Dacromet rotors, they glaze up a little over the winters (2) when they get buried in snow. The second time I stop in the spring they are clear. I believe they use better metal than the most basic iron rotors.

mike_i

I replaced everything on both axles and the brake lines about two years ago and they are Kodiak Dacromet brakes. We're finally expecting our version of winter here in So. Cal, it's suppose to rain all week so I won't be able to work on the brakes for awhile. I hate saltwater.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Maybe do the freshwater rinse after you dunk.
I have the Kodiak disks as well. I always rinsed them off after launching in salt water.

Also, every few years, I pull the calipers and lube the slides. That's pretty much all the maintenance you need on these.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Rust is not a problem, mine have more rust in a week or two. Pitting on the other hand, those are pitted REALLY badly. I wouldn't put them back into use.