Roller to bunk . Carpet needed or ?

w2much

Lieutenant
My trailer rollers are going bye bye. Salt water has taken its toll. I am pretty good about rinsing it but time and salt has taken its toll on the rollers and hardware. I am in San Diego, around here most trailers use bunks not rollers. The launch ramps are such that rollers are not necessary in my opinion. Besides the cost of replacing the rollers and fasteners ect is quite pricey.I installed a new cross member towards the bow so that the boat will position itself upon loading. I am going to place two 10 foot 4 x 6's on edge in place of the rollers. I realize I may have to move the brackets in or out to fit between the sringers. On the front bunk boards I used wood preservative then carpet . I countersunk screws into some 1/4" HPDE polymer which seemed like a good idea at the time. Time will tell. question is about the 4x6 bunks. Do they need carpet. ? Really ? Does it help the boat slide on ? Or is it a matter of scratching the hull. ? Seems that whereas it may scrape off the bottom paint the fiberglass should not suffer ? I have seen the bunk sliders for sale here and there. They appear to made of the same HPDE I used on the front bunks. Has anyone just used them instead of carpet ? Would the boat move on them ? Perhaps you have seen the trailer mishap picture of the boat which slid up onto the cab of the pickup truck ? Could that be a result of a bunk covered in sliders ? I use plenty of strong straps securing the bow and transom to the trailer probably overkill but what can I say, better to be cautious than having my boat come off the trailer. I am thinking of cutting up some plastic drums into 3" strips then heating the strips to conform to the flat top surface of the 4X 6 bunks ? This will cost near nothing vs carpeting. I have stainless screws which I would counter sink, the barrels are about 3/16" thick. It seems like a viable way to go perhaps a better way. OK time to tear into me.What are your thoughts ?

rothfm

Ensign
I did that conversion. Had a 21 WA and wanted it to be simplier etc. Large bunks on the outside with flat/horizontal set down near the keel just to help center it, and another short set at the bow up front, again as a centering aid( the short ones dont hold much weight, just help center). Then I did 5-6' snug side bunks. This really helped it from drifting side to side when coming up on the trailer. Finally I also did a set of upright posts more as a visual when approaching the sunken trailer. Those also help with initial centering.

Really like this trailer alot. Always centers reliably, its easy and I only had to crank up the last couple feet.

To answer your question. I bought bunk slick pads for the main bunks and never ever had a problem with it slipping. It seem to hold well, but also able to slide when needed. I always get almost fully in the water before dropping the winch cable and safety, back in a few feet, hit the brakes and she slides right off. Then on retrieval, the last few feet slide over the slicks nicely with some resistance but not like dragging it over wood or carpet.

I think you should continue on your plan. My new to me larger boat has like 70 rollers and I'm already thinking about this! Will test it in the spring first to make a better informed decision. But loved that Bunk trailer!

w2much

Lieutenant
Thank you rothfm. I could not have hoped for a better reply. Sounds like your old trailer is where I want to be . I do not have the keel bunks but have rollers instead. I will put them in soon I hope. I will have to take the boat out to make adjustments with what I am doing now, Then the center bunks. So many people love the roller setup when they are new. They don't last in the salt water even rinsing them after each use. Too many parts to replace, therefore too expensive for me. I just want my trailer to safely carry my boat not tell time.