Well, I've gone and done it.....

harringtondav

Commander
I believe good maintenance, syn engine oil, and good driving habits will keep any engine and drive train alive for a long time...well over 200K mi. I've retired two 21 yr old vehicles. E Iowa salt rust took them out, but their guts were still good. Good enough to resell.

I'll use the same driving habits with my 2.3 turbo. Pedal off up shift to prolong the clutch packs. Under towing load the same, shift under 25K for the first two shifts +- 25 mph, then manual/paddle shift with moderate/meaningful acceleration at around 3200-3500 rpm until at cruising speed. Piston rings like lower rpm and higher pressures to do their work, especially at break in.

I've got some very steep grades getting into and out of our river home. The 5.2 V8 Durango went to 2nd gear and 4K to make it's way up. I'll report back in April/May to compare the Ranger's little turbo.

kenny nunez

Captain
I took delivery of our Ranger, Lariat, ingot silver tow package with optional Sport appearance and optional rims in lat May.
I pulled a 20’ Taylor SC Jet drive from Lake of the Ozarks home and averaged 21 mpg with no problems @ 70 . Needless to say we paid through the nose because it was special ordered. We traded a 2014 Explorer with low miles and managed to get about an extra $1500.00 off.
It would really be sweet if a 5.0 Coyote was available as an option.
When we picked it up I brought my original owned 5.0 Coyote powered 68 F-100 that came from the same address and took a picture of the 2 trucks in front of the dealership 50 years apart.

Attachments

• photo323449.jpg
    photo323449.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 0

harringtondav

Commander
I took delivery of our Ranger, Lariat, ingot silver tow package with optional Sport appearance and optional rims in lat May.
I pulled a 20’ Taylor SC Jet drive from Lake of the Ozarks home and averaged 21 mpg with no problems @ 70 . Needless to say we paid through the nose because it was special ordered. We traded a 2014 Explorer with low miles and managed to get about an extra $1500.00 off.
It would really be sweet if a 5.0 Coyote was available as an option.
When we picked it up I brought my original owned 5.0 Coyote powered 68 F-100 that came from the same address and took a picture of the 2 trucks in front of the dealership 50 years apart.

How did it handle hills, Kenny? I'm not worried about the 70 mph straight aways, and 21 mpg is nice. The 4WD Ranger's city rating is the same. I'll have to wait till spring to experience the hills.

BTW, your Coyote still looks nice. Thinking if I lived 400 miles south of my winter salty rust belt, I'd still be hauling with a nice shiny Durango.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, the turbo must be spun up to start making power
The 3.5 Ecoboost develops its peak torque of 470- lb-ft @ 2500RPM. My 2018 F-150 is a rocketship compared to my 3/4T Suburban I used to have with a 7.4L. WAY WAY better than my 5.3L Chevy that it replaced.

Does all this and gets 21MPG when I am not towing on the freeway,

And the best thing...does it at high altitude too! Way better than the 5.0L engine in the same truck.

kenny nunez

Captain
The 10 speed transmission turbo combination keeps the engine in the torque range so climbing hills was no problem, I estimate the 20 ‘ Taylor and tandem trailer was around 3500#. The Adaptive Cruise Control applies the brakes if the car in front slows down and keeps a 300’ distance which can be changed for more or less distance. It took me a little time to get used to it but it is useful.
As far as the 5.0 Coyote in the 68 the throttle response is tremendous and hard to get used to. The mileage is close to 20 mpg whereas the previous custom built 460 was 8-12. The 5.0 only weighs 444# with 430 hp right out the box.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The 10 speed transmission turbo combination keeps the engine in the torque range so climbing hills was no problem, I estimate the 20 ‘ Taylor and tandem trailer was around 3500#. The Adaptive Cruise Control applies the brakes if the car in front slows down and keeps a 300’ distance which can be changed for more or less distance. It took me a little time to get used to it but it is useful.
As far as the 5.0 Coyote in the 68 the throttle response is tremendous and hard to get used to. The mileage is close to 20 mpg whereas the previous custom built 460 was 8-12. The 5.0 only weighs 444# with 430 hp right out the box.

I love the 10 speed transmission and adaptive cruise control in the truck.

One of the reasons I bought the Ford was adaptive cruise was not available on 2018 GM pickup trucks. Not only do I get the family discount on GM vehicles but I worked on adaptive cruise while at GM. I knew I wanted adaptive cruise on my next vehicle so was pretty disappointed I couldn't get it with GM. Was not happy I had to get it in a Ford but now very happy with the truck. RAM was NOT an option for me.

NHGuy

Captain
All you traditionalists that believe in displacement have a point. but with the new engines things just work. The bottom ends are stout. The turbos make boost early due to twin scrolling. As a result you get the power with less displacement. They have direct fuel injection and super fast processors that simultaneously manage boost timing, cooling, fuel, gearing and more.
Believe me I love old school power. My boat has a hand built 383 that I did myself. But I drive to work in a 2.0 liter German derived Buick that has a tuned ecm and an improved turbocharger bearing for the extra boost. That car got 29.8 mpg on a driving vacation last summer. Try that with any faster N/A car. Not happening.
Love my boat engine and I love my car engine. They are just two very different generations of the same company.
And my tow vehicle has the Ford Triton 5.4. Trust me, it ain't quick. But I already own it and I understand it, so it's staying around until something moves me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I drive to work in a 2.0 liter German derived Buick that has a tuned ecm and an improved turbocharger bearing for the extra boost. That car got 29.8 mpg on a driving vacation last summer.
Last week, I got close to 40 mpg in a Ford Fusion Hybrid driving from DC to Detroit and back.

My daily driver (Civic) has averaged 35-36 mpg since new

I had a 2006 Ranger and then changed to a 4x4 2007 Ranger v6 with tow package/cooler. It towed my 16ft Alumacraft relatively well, but I definitely knew it was there - especially if needing to brake quickly. I couldn't see over the boat but could see out to the sides, so annoying but not a problem. I eventually went to an F150 and am now towing the same rig with a 2015 Ram. I don't feel the load with any of my full size trucks. I also tow 500 miles round trip to my cabin (primarily on interstate/highway) so the additional size is helpful.