Single Wheel Axel for 21' 3100lb Boat?

77vetter

Cadet
We are purchasing a 21' Sea Ray that weighs 3100lb dry. I would really like a single axle trailer as I don't have much extra space in my storage shed and it would be easier to navigate it to the correct spot with single axle.

Is this a good idea as far as safety and trailering concerns? The boat comes with dual axle trailer but am thinking about trading for single axle so i can maneuver where i need it. Thoughts?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

Only if you can find a single with a rating of about 6000 pounds. Your rig will weigh 3100+fuel, accessories and gear+trailer weight. It all adds up.

77vetter

Cadet
right, good point, but if we get one rated high enough we will be safe and wont have issues with a single axle? We typically trailer it 75 miles in the spring and 75 miles in the fall. Then during the summer we store it at the lake about 5 miles from the lake so its minimal miles we will use it but we still want to be safe

ahicks

Captain
I think you should be able to find a single axle trailer to do that without too much trouble at all. Just watch the ratings, and make sure whatever you end up with covers them easily.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not sure how a single trailer will help you.

the 3100 is dry weight. add fuel, gear, etc as GA pointed out and your boat weighs closer to 4500. then add the trailer frame itself at 1200 and you need 6000# axles at a minimum

it would be custom (read that as really expensive and hard to find), as trailers rated to haul your boat would need an axle rated for 6000# or more. since most trailer manufacturers would normally have 3500# axles, they build tandems

you should be able to maneuver a tandem just as easy with your truck. I used to back my boat into a 30' storage unit with 2" on each side of the trailer

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
My 21' 3100 lb boat came with a single axle (6000#) trailer. The wheels are 16.5" and the trailer tows fine.

Attachments

• photo322880.jpg
    photo322880.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
as others have stated just make sure you get enough "axle" (weight capable) if you go with a single.. as to the extra length for a tandom... ive had both.. a 20 ft cuddy on single axle and new a 20ft toon on a tandom... ive noticed zero difference in towing handling.. other than the toon is like towing a billboard... its not aerodynamic :)... that said... tandom is better.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Some people add a front receiver to their truck for easier close quarter parking. It's a lot easier looking over the hood at the boat than backing up using mirrors. And a whole lot cheaper that getting a trailer or a new Ford Pickup that does it for you.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Some people add a front receiver to their truck for easier close quarter parking. .

While I know people that have done that, practice does make perfect. I have been backing trailers down fire trails and thru the woods since I was 15, and now can thread a needle with ease and put a trailer anywhere using just the mirrors occasionally opening the window to look..

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Rule we used years ago.-----Weight of the boat + 50% = needed capacity of the trailer.----A lot can go wrong in 75 miles.

ahicks

Captain
Any way you cut it, a single axle trailer can be maneuvered by hand in tight quarters MUCH easier and quicker than a vehicle can maneuver that same trailer with tandem axles in the same situation. The only exception might be a compact tractor with a front mounted ball. Something like that in experienced hands can put about anything anywhere there is room to fit.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you have a bad parking situation, like mine with a narrow driveway, narrow street no room to swing around, the front hitch is great at maneuvering. I had one on my '98 when I started in boating. I do have one for the '07 but have not installed it as I now have a system that works for backing up using reference points of when to turn.

Load Rite and others do sell single axle trailers with 5200 capacity axles, 15" D or E rated tires and 12" brakes. For a boat the size you are talking about I would not be afraid to use one, as long as your tongue weight is correct and you have a spare tire, jack, etc. If I ever get a new trailer that's what I am getting, where I am a tandem will not work, it will not turn sharp enough by hand for my storage set up (FREE, in my driveway)….

rothfm

Ensign
Just my 2c worth: Had a 20ft outboard. I will never again trailer ANY single axle trailer. I will qualify that statement. IF I'm trailering any miles or distance regularly, which I do exclusively.

Why....Because as meticulous and anal I was with trailer repair, upkeep, mods ( I actually spend more time on my trailer than the boat) I've had 3 breakdowns. one, I was lucky to not get hurt or hurt anyone else. The 2nd, The hub tore up, tire left the trailer and the frame of the trailer was flush with the road surface. Super difficult to jack up to prep for a flat-bed tow. This was expensive to get home after a long day fishing, Horrible.

I will always go tandem if towing time/distance. No brainer-just safer no question. I want 4 tires under it, and I had no issues backing up, cornering in tight areas.

I now have a 26 Walk around, and most likely will go triple axle for similar reasons. In towing, always always go the extra tolerance, heavy duty everything. Dont be borderline on the weight limit!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had a tandem axle trailer for 35 years and I hated every moment. I share your concern. I bought my current family boat specifically because I could trailer her on a single axle trailer.

My current boat weighs 2700 pounds and I carry it on a 3400 pound capacity trailer. The fuel and gear brings the load up to about 3200, so I don't exceed the 3400 pound limit. The gross vehicle weight spec is about 4100 pounds, thus the manufacturer equipped it with an axle and tires to handle THAT total load.

When you buy a trailer, you buy based on boat length and weight. The trailer weight is not included in that figure. Naturally when figuring the proper capacity you need to add all the stuff on board to the dry weight of the boat. In other words, if you have a 3200 pound boat and a 700 pound trailer, you need a trailer with a 3200 pound capacity (+ extra margin), NOT a 3900 pound capacity trailer.

My single trails perfectly, backs up with no effort and maneuvers into a tight garage with ease. If all else fails I can push it by hand and even turn it around. In contrast my tandem was a bear, even though the total weight was about 1300 pounds lighter.

My motive years ago was just the opposite. The boat came with a single axle trailer, but the overall width wouldn't fit thru the garage door. I upgraded to a tandem because that trailer came with smaller diameter tires and was about 8" narrower.

I didn't make the same mistake this time...