launching with a 2wd?

matt167

Captain
I have 2 vehicles, a 1995 F-250. 302 5spd with 3.55 gears and a 1993 Suzuki Jimny ( RHD, JDM variant of the Samurai ).
I don't 'think' the Jimny can tow my '71 SC Offshore V18 with it's 660cc turbocharged 3cyl which puts out 62hp as well as being 1,900 lbs. That leaves the F250, which is 2wd and 5spd. It tows it fine going down the road, as I would expect an F250 to be able to. But I'm afraid of loosing traction and ending up in the drink..

Am I better to sell the F250 for a 4x4 truck? I do plan on launching my smaller Chugger boat into the Erie canal system as well and some of those launches are short and muddy

Alumarine

Captain
You won't end up in the drink.
1900 lbs is not going to drag you and even if it did it would stop when the boat and trailer started floating.
On steeper slippery ramps you might have traction problems retrieving.
I've done 3000 lbs often with 2wd.
4wd is not going to help when launching.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
My boat is #5200+.

I”be used 4WD once in 20+ years as a precautionary measure on a paved ramp covered with sand.

I have more issues with the trailer bottoming out on the top of the ramp

bigdee

Commander
You won't end up in the drink.
1900 lbs is not going to drag you and even if it did it would stop when the boat and trailer started floating.
On steeper slippery ramps you might have traction problems retrieving.
I've done 3000 lbs often with 2wd.
4wd is not going to help when launching.

Your exactly correct. My 3000# boat has pulled my S-10 down a sandy/gravel ramp and as soon as boat hit the water the truck quit sliding. After I checked my seat to see how much of my butt chewed it I actually had to back further in to launch boat, I had to find a better ramp to retrieve boat later in the day.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
I've got a 2wd GMC Sierra 4.8.. towed my use to have 20ft cuddy and my now 20ft toon with 115hp merc on tandom trailer, entire rig is bit over 3K. you will have zero issues launching and trailering with a 2wd vehicle capable and within your weight limits... the issue is....... where are you lauching? if a hard ramp your good. soft steep sandy crappy ramps? dont launch there at all.......

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
On lakes and rivers in and around Kentucky, I launched and retrieved a 4,000 lb boat (5,500 lb including trailer) many times with a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2WD with a 3.42 locking differential. Only a few times did the locking rear differential activate. If your boating area is tidal and the ramp is slimy at low tide, 4WD may be beneficial.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
85% of the time I do not need 4WD to retrieve. the other 15% of the time, I need it, and sometimes use it to help other folks at the ramp.

the manual trans adds another level of complexity. Juggling 3 pedals up a goo-covered ramp can be tricky. you need to be able to heal/toe the brake and throttle. having a hand-actuated park brake helps here.

prlwng

Seaman
04 chevy, 4.8, 5 speed maual, 2wd. 1650 sc fishawk, 60hp 4strk, roller trailer. Tru posi. Never had a problem yet. Selective bout my fishing spots

One thing will sugest. Get two wheel chocks. Never trust ebrake and in gear. Since I launch 95% of time alone as soon as in position to launch will put a chock on rear wheels. Then launch park and fish. On retrive will also get in position chock, load, park. Only once powered onto trailer. Can pull boat on by hand wench. Kinda tough tho in fast current of 4 to 5 mph or more. Wish I was 50 years younger.

50 years ago we seldom saw a 4wd. Many boats also were io. Heavey they were. But then most of us had tru posi traction in our cars and pickups.

fishrdan

Admiral
You'll be fine with the F250, unless the ramp is snotty/slick.

I tow a 18' Crestliner (probably around 3000# rig) with a 4x4 Durango and rarely if ever use 4x4. Only times I used 4x4 was a sand covered ramp. or shore launching, and both of those instances I'm not sure if I needed it.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Half the battle with 2WD trucks is that they don't have a locking differental (positraction) and/or regular street tires are used. Put some "grippy" tires on it if you do have traction issues. If there is still an issue, get a limited slip differential out of a bone yard.

matt167

Captain
For the winter I have Mastercraft Courser MSR but they are P rated and can't be used to tow the boat. I've got them at 30 PSI for the snow traction. But I'm probably going to get some Falken Wildpeak ATW3's for the spring

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I have been launching my boats in the Erie Canal for 52 years. 51 of those years was with a 2W RWD "Car", not a truck. Half of those years the car had a 3 spd manual trans. The biggest boat weighed in at about 3000 pounds.

If you are talking about the Niagara end of the canal (Pendleton to Tonawanda) there are 4 ramps available, and none are steep and all are hard faced. If you want to use the Service Road ramp, just don't back in too far since the end of the ramp past the concrete is totally worn away from people power loading.

You won't have a problem.

matt167

Captain
I have been launching my boats in the Erie Canal for 52 years. 51 of those years was with a 2W RWD "Car", not a truck. Half of those years the car had a 3 spd manual trans. The biggest boat weighed in at about 3000 pounds.

If you are talking about the Niagara end of the canal (Pendleton to Tonawanda) there are 4 ramps available, and none are steep and all are hard faced. If you want to use the Service Road ramp, just don't back in too far since the end of the ramp past the concrete is totally worn away from people power loading.

You won't have a problem.

I'll be launching in Albany or the finger lakes region most likely. Lot of them are gravel/ mud launches.. There is also that lake that I'd like to explore. It's only accessable from the Canal or a single launch but I don't remember exactly where or what it is called. In the Weedsport area I think. The boat launch that is there is a steep mud launch owned by the lake marina

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
In the absence of a firm footing, I wouldn't try it without a 4x4.

matt167

Captain
Yeah, I'll have to scout a launch upstream or downstream to get there.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Even with 4WD, unless the rear differential is a locker, you still only have two wheel drive. One front wheel and the opposite wheel in the rear will lose traction and you will still be stuck. I've seen it happen lots of times. In fact I once saw a pickup stuck in a perfectly flat parking lot on glare ice. Couldn't move for the reason I just provided.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
I use a crown Victoria to tow and launch my 22' pontoon im estimating the boat and trailer weighs a hair over 3000lbs and i haven't had any problems yet in 5 or so years.

ahicks

Captain
Something noteworthy maybe, is that your luck may change with different ramp designs and conditions.....

I'm sure there are a lot of ramps that will and won't work.

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Used a FWD compact SUV to tow a #2500 boat and trailer when wet. You should be fine getting up most ramps with that setup. I have one ramp near me you would have no chance in hell of getting up since most 4x4 trucks have a hard time.

87 criscraft

Cadet
Matt167,if you are looking to launch in Weedsport,you should look into cross lake marina.nice concrete launch,you can get to the Seneca river and the canal within about 15 minutes