Trailer coupler lock

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm wondering what a good trailer couple lock would be. I know that depends on the coupler, mine takes a 1/4" pin thru it, I found one on Princess A u t o that went thru and a lock slide onto it. That worked fine for about 3 trips till I fell and it bent so badly I had to break it off. I'm looking for something solid and that will stand up to a falling guy or maybe even a hitch bumping it while backing up. Ideally it would be under $75 CAD but can go higher if it will last

I'd link to the one I bought but pretty sure that's not allowed here even to a Canadian site. It was a 6.5 inch long 1/4 inch one. On my trailer it has to go thru the whole coupler/tongue of the trailer

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What coupler do you have? I use a long hasp Master Lock.

SkaterRace

What coupler do you have? I use a long hasp Master Lock.

I don't know the model, it's on a 2018 Glastron GT 185 factory trailer. It's a bit odd in that it requires a long pin to go thru it to lock it in place. Has a thing on the front/top that you push down/forward, it's not the normal style with the folding handle. I can't seem to find a picture of it and the boat is in storage for the year with no way to get to it so can't even take a picture. Google mostly shows pictures of standard style couplers.

Something like this amazon link is close to what I need, it's a 3 inch tube I think

https://www.amazon.ca/Trimax-TC123-...ocphy=9000711&hvtargid=pla-807649918484&psc=1

briangcc

Commander
I know what you're talking about hitch wise - my Four Winns trailer was similar. Basically a small pin, probably 1/8" or so in diameter goes from one side of the hitch to the other to lock the receiver down and avoid it from popping off the ball.

That pin you posted, I've seen listed elsewhere breaking in two because of the two detents in the middle - its a weak spot.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/dead-bolt-surge-coupler-lock-ct-johnson-imf-1184928.html

The above might work too...

Look at e t ra il er….here's the part description Trailer Coupler Lock for Surge Brake Couplers with 3-3/8" Span They have other sizes if you need smaller.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Buy the one in post 5, provided that it is the correct length. The "universal" ones that have grooves in several spots will bend and self destruct.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
They would only bend if the primary means of keeping the hitch latched fails. These pins are typically a secondary means of retention.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
They would only bend if the primary means of keeping the hitch latched fails. These pins are typically a secondary means of retention.

That sounds logical, but....

I posted a similar question earlier this summer because on my second trip with a new rig the sucker bent. No problem with the hitch and nothing came disconnected. Nobody gave a reasonable explanation re. my problem. The bend was right at one of the grooves.

I bought a fixed length unit with no grooves and merely added a bushing on the outside so it wouldn't move back and forth, but mostly for security because you couln't cut it now . At the end of the Summer no more bends and it worked perfect.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I don't know the model, it's on a 2018 Glastron GT 185 factory trailer. It's a bit odd in that it requires a long pin to go thru it to lock it in place. Has a thing on the front/top that you push down/forward, it's not the normal style with the folding handle. I can't seem to find a picture of it and the boat is in storage for the year with no way to get to it so can't even take a picture. Google mostly shows pictures of standard style couplers.

Something like this amazon link is close to what I need, it's a 3 inch tube I think

https://www.amazon.ca/Trimax-TC123-...ocphy=9000711&hvtargid=pla-807649918484&psc=1

I’ve used one like this for years. It works well, but the one in post #3 looks like it would hold up better to abuse.

SkaterRace

I know what you're talking about hitch wise - my Four Winns trailer was similar. Basically a small pin, probably 1/8" or so in diameter goes from one side of the hitch to the other to lock the receiver down and avoid it from popping off the ball.

That pin you posted, I've seen listed elsewhere breaking in two because of the two detents in the middle - its a weak spot.

https://www.iboats.com/shop/dead-bolt-surge-coupler-lock-ct-johnson-imf-1184928.html

The above might work too...

Look at e t ra il er….here's the part description Trailer Coupler Lock for Surge Brake Couplers with 3-3/8" Span They have other sizes if you need smaller.

Thanks surge brake couple turns up way more results with ones that fit.

SkaterRace

It bent on one of the grooves both when the hitch hit it and when I hit it with my knee. Neither case had anything to do with the latch failing or anything like that.