6 bunks, only middle 2 contact boat

bortSanders

Cadet
Im still kinda new to boating so any help would be appreciated.

2014 Cruisers 258 sport series bowrider

i just bought at used trailer with 6 bunks that was used for a 2003? Crownline 230 BR.
When I loaded the boat the hull sits nicely on the innermost 2 bunks. The next set of bunks outward /middle set bunks dont touch the boat and have about a finger of space btw bunk and boat. The outer bunks are the same but have about 2 fingers of space before they touch the boat.
I need to trailer the boat 83 miles to storage where it will sit on the trailer all winter. Then we will sell the boat possibly with a different trailer. So things don’t need to be perfect, I just want to transport the boat safely and without damage. The boat is currently on the trailer.

questions:
1. Can I trailer this boat safely? (without damaging the boat or endangering anyone)
2. What adjustments/ repairs are needed? How do I do them?

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
are the bunks adjustable?

if not, you need to cut-n-weld to get the bunks to fit the new hull, or find a different trailer

cant see S#IT in your video

bortSanders

Cadet
Haha, yeah the video was at night.
The bunks aren’t adjustable, just welded and lag bolted.
I did some internet research. Imgoing to thru bolt some 2x4 pvc planks on the 2nd set of bunks. 2 per side , 36” long. Counterbored with a forstner bit. It should take up the space so the boat doesn’t rock too much.

ahicks

Captain
From what you are saying, that this is a temporary setup, I would be most interested in the bunks that lie directly below the stringers. Those bunks alone will support the boat as well as needed (as long as they also support the transom). Anything else will just be icing on the cake.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Yeah stick to boating as your film making career isn't likely... my boat sits on two bunks on a hoist no issue. Ideally they'd be a little farther out than what you have, but I think you'd be fine to transport it for storage as is. If you can put some wood in there to take up the gap on outer ones great but I wouldn't sweat it too much, just take it slow

ahicks

Captain
If you are going to shim them, install the shim on the trailer side of the bunk!