When to replace trailer brake system

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've had a couple posts regarding my trailer and here comes another one because I found something new.

While checking the master cylinder fluid level, it was a little low so I added some more. As I poured the new fluid in, it kicked up what looks to be some type of sediment in there and it mixed with the new fluid.

Can this be resolved with just doing a flush, or do I need to pull the actuator off and do a rebuild of the master cylinder to really clean out everything?

The reason for the title of the post is that I now have a dirty master cylinder, calipers that need to be rebuilt, brake lines with rusty fittings and a trailer that doesn't meet state code for having brakes on each axle. Maybe I would be grandfathered in with state law since the trailer was bought out of state, but with everything else, does it make sense to pony up the $$ to put a whole new system in along with brakes for each axle?

It really seems obvious this trailer was not maintained throughout its life and just sat around.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I had a similar situation when I bought my new (to me) boat four years ago. Bought a kit included coupler, lines, calipers, hoses rotors and wheel bearings. Put it on and never looked back. I bought a inexpensive tue down kit, but I'm in fresh water and keep it on a lift. If you trailer a lot or dunk in the salt I'd get a higher end kit like a kodiak or other.

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had a similar situation when I bought my new (to me) boat four years ago. Bought a kit included coupler, lines, calipers, hoses rotors and wheel bearings. Put it on and never looked back. I bought a inexpensive tue down kit, but I'm in fresh water and keep it on a lift. If you trailer a lot or dunk in the salt I'd get a higher end kit like a kodiak or other.

I'm more in brackish water, but the majority of launches are done way up river where it is probably more fresh water.

Do you know how Titan compares? E-trailer has a Titan kit for 1k.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I'm more in brackish water, but the majority of launches are done way up river where it is probably more fresh water.

Do you know how Titan compares? E-trailer has a Titan kit for 1k.

No experince with titan myself but I paid less than half that for the tie down , but mine was only equipping one axle set not two.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
What size brakes do you have?

I've had good luck with Kodiak dacromet calipers and rotors with ceramic pads and the Tiedown 6600 coupler I n brackish to salt water.

Look around. Can find 10” Kodiaks on sale for under $300 a set. The coupler is right around $150. Champion trailer has SS brake line kits for $100

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
What size brakes do you have?

I've had good luck with Kodiak dacromet calipers and rotors with ceramic pads and the Tiedown 6600 coupler I n brackish to salt water.

Look around. Can find 10” Kodiaks on sale for under $300 a set. The coupler is right around $150. Champion trailer has SS brake line kits for $100

I have Tiedown and I think they are 9.6". Everyone one else (Kodiak, Titan, etc) has 10".

It seems so far that I probably should just replace the system??

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I have Tiedown and I think they are 9.6". Everyone one else (Kodiak, Titan, etc) has 10".

It seems so far that I probably should just replace the system??
Had Tiedowns last go round. Not impressed whatsoever.

Kodiak is a big step up. Install 10” kodiaks and don’t look back.

ceramic brakes pads are work the money